Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MinGW/MSYS problem with search path

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since my plans for a Linux system are on hold, I'm trying to shore up my Windows machine to do some calculations.

I've been having trouble with MinGW/MSYS lately. I was able to compile GMP, but wasn't able to do anything with it -- anything I did gave me error messages saying it couldn't find gmp.h. (And yes, I did a make install.)

After searching through the settings, I found that it was nothing more than a problem with my search directories: if I compiled with
    Code (Text):
    gcc blah.c -o blah -I /usr/local/include -L /usr/local/lib -lgmp
    rather than simply
    Code (Text):
    gcc blah.c -o blah -lgmp
    it worked properly. But when I'm making a large piece of software, I can't just change all gcc command lines in the makefile -- I don't even know how half the thing works, let alone how to properly modify it.

This seems like a problem with a simple solution, but I haven't been able to find it. I can modify the $PATH to include both directories, but that doesn't work. I tried passing --libdir and --includedir to configure, but that had no apparent effect at all.

Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See http://www.mingw.org/wiki/IncludePathHOWTO
    It doesn't look like there is an INCLUDE_PATH or LIBRARY_PATH you can set globally, in a makefile it's normal to have a variable that expands out to these at the top.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  4. Feb 12, 2009 #3

Gold Member

Actually, there may be. The page linked says
    and links to http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Environment-Variables.html

which says

So setting CPATH (or maybe C_INCLUDE_PATH or CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH) *should* do it. Alternately, you could try setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS with the appropriate -I includes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?