1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimization of objective function

1. Nov 21, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I need to minimize, with respect to [itex]\hat{y}(x)[/itex], the following function:
    [tex]\tilde{J}_x = \mathbb{E}_{p(x,y)}[(\hat{y}(x)-y)^2] + \nu \mathbb{E}_{p(x,y)}[(\hat{y}(x)-y)tr(\nabla_x^2\hat{y}(x))] + \nu \mathbb{E}_{p(x,y)}[||\nabla_x\hat{y}(x)||^2],[/tex]
    where [itex]x[/itex] is a vector and [itex]y[/itex] a scalar.
    I found this in a book about Deep Learning (Machine Learning). I'm studying on my own and this math is a bit over my head. If you want more context, see pages 215-216 here: http://goodfeli.github.io/dlbook/contents/regularization.html [Broken]
    First of all, do I need to learn the Calculus of Variations to solve this?
    The expression I wrote here is slightly different from the one on the book, because I think the authors forgot a "trace" (tr).
    Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2015 #2

MP.

Hey,
    I think you're looking for the Lagrange multiplier

MP

EDIT: Sorry, misread the post, I thought you already wanted a solution within calculus. The answer to whether or not you'll have to learn it is not really, as you will have a machine do it for you anyway. So you don't have to understand why this solution works as long as you manage to code it once / get somebody else to do it.

4. Nov 21, 2015 #3

MP.

And please don't forget that the function doesn't neccesarily have to obtain a min/max value, unless you're working with a closed set.

For example the function f(x) = x obtains no minima/maxima for x∈(0,1), although you can get "infinitely close" to both infimum and supremum (0 and 1). You may have to consider these cases separately, that really depends on what you're doing.

MP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted