Minimization of objective function

In summary, the conversation discusses minimizing a function with respect to a vector and scalar, as well as the possibility of needing to use the Calculus of Variations. The expression given by the speaker may have a mistake. The other person suggests using the Lagrange multiplier and reminds the speaker that the function may not necessarily have a minimum or maximum value.
kiuhnm
Hi,
I need to minimize, with respect to [itex]\hat{y}(x)[/itex], the following function:
[tex]\tilde{J}_x = \mathbb{E}_{p(x,y)}[(\hat{y}(x)-y)^2] + \nu \mathbb{E}_{p(x,y)}[(\hat{y}(x)-y)tr(\nabla_x^2\hat{y}(x))] + \nu \mathbb{E}_{p(x,y)}[||\nabla_x\hat{y}(x)||^2],[/tex]
where [itex]x[/itex] is a vector and [itex]y[/itex] a scalar.
I found this in a book about Deep Learning (Machine Learning). I'm studying on my own and this math is a bit over my head. If you want more context, see pages 215-216 here: http://goodfeli.github.io/dlbook/contents/regularization.html
First of all, do I need to learn the Calculus of Variations to solve this?
The expression I wrote here is slightly different from the one on the book, because I think the authors forgot a "trace" (tr).
Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
I think you're looking for the Lagrange multiplier

MP

EDIT: Sorry, misread the post, I thought you already wanted a solution within calculus. The answer to whether or not you'll have to learn it is not really, as you will have a machine do it for you anyway. So you don't have to understand why this solution works as long as you manage to code it once / get somebody else to do it.

And please don't forget that the function doesn't neccesarily have to obtain a min/max value, unless you're working with a closed set.

For example the function f(x) = x obtains no minima/maxima for x∈(0,1), although you can get "infinitely close" to both infimum and supremum (0 and 1). You may have to consider these cases separately, that really depends on what you're doing.

MP

1. What is an objective function?

An objective function is a mathematical representation of the goal or objective that a scientist or researcher is trying to achieve. It is typically expressed in terms of variables and equations and is used to measure the effectiveness of a particular solution or approach.

2. Why is minimization of objective function important?

The minimization of an objective function is important because it allows scientists and researchers to find the most optimal solution to a problem. By minimizing the objective function, they can identify the best set of values for the variables that will result in the desired outcome.

3. How is the objective function minimized?

The objective function is minimized using mathematical optimization techniques, such as gradient descent or Newton's method. These methods involve iteratively adjusting the values of the variables until the objective function reaches its minimum value.

4. What are some applications of minimizing the objective function?

Minimizing the objective function is used in a variety of scientific and engineering fields, such as machine learning, economics, and operations research. It can be used to optimize processes, improve efficiency, and make predictions based on data.

5. Are there any limitations to minimizing the objective function?

Yes, there are some limitations to minimizing the objective function. One limitation is that it requires a well-defined and measurable objective function. Additionally, the optimal solution found may be limited by the constraints and assumptions made in the optimization process.