Minimum acceleration needed for box to not fall from accelerating cart

In summary: So the net force in the horizontal direction is the normal force, and the force to the right. Fnet = Fright - Fleft = ma32.67 - Fleft = (2)(a)Fleft is the friction force. and it's equal to 0.6*32.67 = 19.6N 32.67 - 19.6 = (2)(a)13.07 = (2)(a)a = 6.54 m/s/sIn summary, the minimum acceleration of the cart needed so that the box does not fall is 6.54 m/s/s.
hkor

Homework Statement

You place a 2kg box against the side of a cart. Nothing is used to stick the box to the cart which accelerates to the right. The coefficient of static friction is 0.6.

Find the minimum acceleration of the cart needed so that the box does not fall

Homework Equations

F=m.us
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having trouble understanding the concepts behind this question. Maybe because we are using the static force of friction when the object is moving and not stationary.
Does the box remain on the cart when the friction force is equal to the acceleration?
what if the force is greater than fs?
or what if it is less?. Obviously I know that it will fall. but why? because shouldn't the box be stationary if fs>F

Any help or explanation would be great
Cheers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
attempt at answering the question

Actually I do understand, now that i think about it.
So when the acceleration is greater than or equal to the static force we know that the box will stick to the cart.?

So this is what I've come up with..
F(y)=n-mg=0
therefore n-mg
mg=(2.5x9.8) =24.5

F to the right= f(s)
ma=us.n(=mg)
a=(0.06x24.5)/(2)
=5.88m/s/s?

Please correct me if I am wrong

hkor said:
Actually I do understand, now that i think about it.
So when the acceleration is greater than or equal to the static force we know that the box will stick to the cart.?

F(y)=n-mg=0
therefore n-mg
mg=(2.5x9.8) =24.5

F to the right= f(s)
ma=us.n(=mg)
a=(0.06x24.5)/(2)
=5.88m/s/s?

Please correct me if I am wrong
Is it 2 kg or 2.5 kg for the mass?

The problem is not clearly worded: the box is placed on the front of the cart.
hkor said:
acceleration and force are not the same
F(y)=n-mg=0
the normal force does not act in the y direction.
I think you mean m = 2 kg
F to the right= f(s)
ma=us.n(=mg)
a=(0.06x24.5)/(2)
=5.88m/s/s?
the force on the block to the right is not the friction force. The friction force acts down. What force on the box acts right?

Sorry for the confusion the mass of the box is 2 kg and the box is in front of the cart :)

the force on the block to the right is not the friction force. The friction force acts down. What force on the box acts right?

I guess I still don't really understand the concept.
If the static friction of the box is acting downwards then why is it dependent on the force to the right whether the box stays stuck to the cart?

So:
F(x)=n-mg=Fs?

F(y) to the right
F=ma

Oh no you must look in the vertical y direction and horizontal x direction separately. Look at the box using a free body diagram. In the vertical direction, the weight of the box acts down, but it does not move down as noted in the problem. So another force must acting up . What is that force and how much is it?

So the friction force is acting upwards and the weight force is acting down?

therefore
(2kg)(9.8N) = Fs

Is the normal going in the horizontal direction?

hkor said:
So the friction force is acting upwards and the weight force is acting down?

therefore
(2kg)(9.8N) = Fs
yes correct
Is the normal going in the horizontal direction?
yes. Normal forces act perpendicular to the surfaces in contact.

ok so if F(s)= mg
F(s) =(2)(9.8) = 19.6N
Fs= 0.6xn
n= 19.6/0.6
n= 32.67

In order for the box to stick to the cart the force going in the positive x direction must be equal to or greater than the normal working in the -x direction?

F=n=ma

32.67=(2)(a)
a=16.335m/s/s?

Looks good!
Edit: Oh wait you said -x direction? Normal force is in +x direction to right. There are no other forces in the horizontal direction.

1. What is minimum acceleration needed for a box to not fall from an accelerating cart?

The minimum acceleration needed for a box to not fall from an accelerating cart depends on the mass of the box and the coefficient of friction between the box and the cart's surface. It can be calculated using the formula: a = μg, where a is the minimum acceleration, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How does the mass of the box affect the minimum acceleration needed?

The mass of the box directly affects the minimum acceleration needed. A heavier box will require a higher minimum acceleration to prevent it from falling off the cart, while a lighter box will require a lower minimum acceleration. This is because the force of gravity on the box increases with its mass, making it more likely to slide off the cart without enough acceleration to counteract it.

3. What is coefficient of friction and how does it impact the minimum acceleration?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces in contact. It depends on the materials of the surfaces and their roughness. A higher coefficient of friction means that there is more resistance between the box and the cart's surface, so a higher minimum acceleration is needed to prevent the box from falling off.

4. Can the minimum acceleration needed be greater than the acceleration of the cart?

Yes, the minimum acceleration needed can be greater than the acceleration of the cart. This can happen if the mass of the box is large or if the coefficient of friction is high. In this case, the cart would need to accelerate at a higher rate to prevent the box from falling off.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the minimum acceleration needed?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the minimum acceleration needed. These include the angle of the cart's surface, the type of motion of the cart (i.e. linear or circular), and any external forces acting on the box (e.g. wind). Additionally, the condition and smoothness of the cart's surface can also impact the minimum acceleration needed.