1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum distance between skew vectors

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Satellites A and B are traced at a particular moment by a space base located at the origin, with respect to which they move at constant velocities:
    A0 = (a1,0,a3); B0 = (0,b2,b3)
    V of satellite A = (Va,0,0); V of satellite B = (Vb,Vb,0)

Is the minimum distance between the satellites equal to the distance between the two skew vectors A = (a1,0,a3) + (Va,0,0)t and B = (0,b2,b3) + (Vb,Vb,0)t? Are they indeed skew?

If so, the distance is a3-b3, which does not seem reasonable to me (as over simpified and does not involve too many of the problem's parameters).

Any advice, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2
    I drew a quick picture which helped me. The answer to the first question is I don't know. The answer to the second question I think is yes (they certainly aren't parallel).

Does minimum here mean the straightest path or some point in time? Who knows. However, you're coming up with a constant number which can't be right for either definition.

a3-b3 (maybe take the absolute value because a3-b3 could be negative) is the normal distance between the two lines the satellites travel on. Both satellites are traveling in planes parallel to the xy plane because both have a velocity of 0 in the z direction. However, this doesn't mean the satellites were ever that close apart because Va doesn't equal Vb. a3-b3 is the minimum distance between the paths the satellites travel on.

Here is what I think is the best answer to this question which is the distance formula at a moment in time: [((a1+Va*t)-(0+Vb*t))^2+((0+0*t)-(b2+Vb*t))^2+((a3+0*t)-(b3+0*t))^2]^.5
    Take the derivative to find the point in time when they are the closet.

Does that help some?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook