1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum distance to avoid collision using relative motion

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2 cars with velocities 10 m/s and 20 m/s are travelling in opposite directions, having uniform retardation of 2m/s^2 and 1m/s^2 respectively. Find minimum separation between them such that they don't collide.
    2. Relevant equations
    $$v^2=u^2 + 2as$$
    $$V_{12}=v_{1}-v_{2}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    It can easily be solved by finding the distance they require to come to a stop using equations of motion, and adding them up, i.e. $$d_{min}=\frac{v_{1}^2}{2a_{1}} + \frac{v_{2}^2}{2a_{2}}$$. This gives, upon substituting, $$225 $$metres as the answer, which is correct.
    The problem is, I want to do it using relative motion. Suppose 1st car is moving along positive X axis towards right, and car 2 towards left. In frame of 2nd car, $$v_{12}=v_{1}-(-v_{2})=v_{1}+v_{2}=20+10=30 m/s$$. Similarly, acceleration of car 1 must be towards left (opposite to velocity) and towards right for car 2. Thus, $$a_{12}= -3m/s^2$$. Now, in frame of car 2, car 1 comes in with a velocity 30m/s and retardation (-3)m/s^2. In order to avoid collision, it has to cover the distance between them such that its velocity upon reaching 2 becomes zero(the distance here is the minimum distance), i.e. $$v_{12f}=0$$. Using $$v^2=u^2 + 2as$$, we get $$(0)^2=(30)^2+2(-3)(x)$$, which on solving gives
    $$x=150m$$.
    I don't understand what is my mistake. Please point it out. Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Which car stops first? What happens to the relative acceleration then?

4. Oct 15, 2015 #3
    @DEvens, Do you mean to say that after one of the cars stop, the relative acceleration changes? Well it does but then does it mean that the 150m I get is valid only until one of the car stops, and the other still travels 75 more metres?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted