2 contradicting approaches for a 1D elastic collision

In summary, the problem involves a collision between a bowling ball and a ping pong ball, with the assumption that the mass of the ping pong ball is much smaller than the mass of the bowling ball. The first method, using conservation of energy and assuming the bowling ball is unaffected, is valid, while the second method, assuming conservation of momentum and that the bowling ball's momentum is unaffected, is invalid. It is important to make approximations after writing the precise equations and keeping track of the order of magnitude of errors introduced. The final conclusion is to not assume that the mass of the heavier object is infinite, but rather that the ratio of the masses tends to infinity and the other ratio tends to zero.
baseballfan_ny
Homework Statement
A ping-pong ball and a bowling ball collide elastically on a frictionless surface. The
magnitude of the initial velocity of the ping-pong ball is vp,0 and the direction of the
velocity is in the positive x-direction. The magnitude of the initial velocity of the
bowling ball is vb,0 and the direction of the velocity is in the negative x-direction. You
may assume that the mass of the bowling ball is much greater than the mass of the
ping-pong ball.

After the collision, what is the component of the velocity of the ping-pong ball in the x
direction? (pay attention to signs). Express your answer in some or all of the following
variables: vp0 and vb0
Relevant Equations
##\vec p_f = \vec p_i##
##(\vec v_{rel})_i = -(\vec v_{rel})_f##
1608477157970.png

So I've managed to confuse myself on this problem :)

Since the problem says we can assume ##m_p << m_b##, I'm assuming that the velocity of the bowling ball will be unchanged, such that ##\vec v_{b,i} = \vec v_{b,f} = -v_{b,0} \hat i##

I started out using the energy-momentum principle, ##(\vec v_{rel})_i = -(\vec v_{rel})_f##
## \vec v_{b,i} - \vec v_{p,i} = -(\vec v_{b,f} - \vec v_{p,f}) ##

In the ##\hat i## direction...
## -v_{b,0} - v_{p,0} = -(-v_{b,0} - v_{p,f}) ##
## -2v_{b,0} - v_{p,0} = v_{p,f} ##

Which seems reasonable to me, that the ping pong ball goes in the opposite direction with greater speed. But when I try to solve the problem just by applying ordinary conservation of momentum...
## m_p*v_{p,0} - m_b*v_{b,0} = m_p*v_{p,f} -m_b*v_{b,0} ##
## m_p*v_{p,0} = m_p*v_{p,f} ##
## v_{p,f} = v_{p,0} ##

And the same thing would be implied by the KE energy condition, since the bowling ball velocity is unchanged so the ##v_{b,0}## terms would cancel.
## \frac 1 2 m_p*v_{p,0}^2 + \frac 1 2 m_b*v_{b,0}^2 = \frac 1 2 m_p*v_{f}^2 + \frac 1 2 m_b*v_{b,0}^2##

How come these two approaches are giving me totally different answers? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You ought to do the problem without shortcuts and see what happens. You should find that the first method is valid: using conservation of energy and assuming that the bowling ball is unaffected. But, that that second method is invalid: you cannot assume that the momentum of the bowling ball is unaffected.

Compare this problem to dropping a bouncy ball on a hard surface (i.e. an elastic collision with the Earth): KE of the ball is nearly conserved, but momentum is reversed.

Likes baseballfan_ny, etotheipi and Lnewqban
N.B. in this problem the assumption you actually want to make, whether using the momentum or energy approaches, is that $$m_p \ll m_b \implies m_p + m_b \approx m_b$$

Likes baseballfan_ny and PeroK
Got it, thanks y'all! The first method worked without the shortcuts and it makes much more sense now. The 2nd method seems to also have worked without the shortcuts but resulted in a ton of complicated algebra that I'm just going to assume works out :)

This question is a useful illustration of the pitfalls of making approximations early in the analysis. The rigorous approach is to write the precise equation, then make the approximation, and keep track of the order of magnitude of the error introduced.

In the present case, e.g. for momentum, the change in momentum of the bowling ball is ##m_b\Delta v_b##. As ##m_b\rightarrow \infty##, ##\Delta v_b\rightarrow 0##, but that does not tell us what happens to ##m_b\Delta v_b##.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
How I like to solve this kind of problems:

Suppose we have two particles colliding perfectly elastic, knowing their initial speeds and the fact that the mass of the second particles is much greater than the mass of the first particle.
$$m_1,~\vec{v_{1,i}}$$
$$m_2\gg m_1,~\vec{v_{2,i}}$$
Then
$$\frac{2(m_1\vec{v_{1,i}}+m_2\vec{v_{2,i}})}{m_1+m_2}=2\Big(\frac{m_1}{m_1+m_2}\vec{v_{1,i}}+\frac{m_2}{m_1+m_2}\vec{v_{2,i}}\Big)=2\Big(\big(1+\frac{m_2}{m_1}\big)^{-1}\vec{v_{1,i}}+\big(1+\frac{m_1}{m_2}\big)^{-1}\vec{v_{2,i}}\Big)$$
Notice how I broke everything into simple fractions so we can make the approximations
$$\frac{m_2}{m_1}\to\infty,~\frac{m_1}{m_2}\to0$$
So the final result is
$$2\vec{v_{2,i}}$$
The equation for the final speeds is
$$v_{k,f}=\frac{2(m_1\vec{v_{1,i}}+m_2\vec{v_{2,i}})}{m_1+m_2}-\vec{v_{k,i}},~k=1,2$$
Using the above result
$$v_{k,f}=2\vec{v_{2,i}}-\vec{v_{k,i}}$$
$$v_{1,f}=2\vec{v_{2,i}}-\vec{v_{1,i}}$$
$$v_{2,f}=2\vec{v_{2,i}}-\vec{v_{2,i}}=\vec{v_{2,i}}$$

This explains why the velocity of the object with much greater mass is unchanged.

Final conclusion:

Do not assume ##m_2\to\infty## but instead ##\frac{m_2}{m_1}\to\infty,~\frac{m_1}{m_2}\to0##

1. What are the two contradicting approaches for a 1D elastic collision?

The two contradicting approaches for a 1D elastic collision are the conservation of momentum approach and the conservation of kinetic energy approach.

2. How does the conservation of momentum approach explain a 1D elastic collision?

The conservation of momentum approach states that the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains constant. This means that the sum of the momenta of the two objects involved in the collision is the same before and after the collision.

3. How does the conservation of kinetic energy approach explain a 1D elastic collision?

The conservation of kinetic energy approach states that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains constant. This means that the sum of the kinetic energies of the two objects involved in the collision is the same before and after the collision.

4. Which approach is more accurate in explaining a 1D elastic collision?

Both approaches are equally accurate in explaining a 1D elastic collision. They are simply two different ways of looking at the same event and can be used interchangeably depending on the problem at hand.

5. What are the limitations of the two approaches for a 1D elastic collision?

The conservation of momentum approach assumes that there are no external forces acting on the system, while the conservation of kinetic energy approach assumes that the collision is perfectly elastic and there is no loss of energy. In reality, these assumptions may not always hold true and can affect the accuracy of the approaches.