Minimum engagement length of a bolt

In summary, the conversation is asking for the criteria for minimum engagement length of a bolt, specifically for a M10x1 bolt. The suggested article provides formulas for calculating this length for metric bolts, but there is additional information available through a Google search. The last comment asks for clarification on using Imperial units in the formula. The response suggests using all Imperial units and then converting the resulting length back into mm or cm.
siddharth23
Hey guys.
Could anyone give me an what the criteria for minimum engagement length of a bolt is?
The bolt I'm using is M10x1.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
This article includes some formulas to calculate the minimum engagement length of a bolt (esp. metric bolts):

http://www.engineersedge.com/thread_strength/thread_minimum_length_engagement_fed-std-h28.htm

There is more information available if you Google the phrase 'minimum engagement length of bolt'.
Thanks! I read this one
Only thing is, do I just take the pitch in per inch or do I use Imperial units for the entire formula?

siddharth23 said:
Thanks! I read this one
Only thing is, do I just take the pitch in per inch or do I use Imperial units for the entire formula?

Without knowing more about the derivation of this formula, the safest approach would be to use all Imperial units and then convert the resulting length back into mm or cm.

SteamKing said:
Without knowing more about the derivation of this formula, the safest approach would be to use all Imperial units and then convert the resulting length back into mm or cm.
Ok mate! Thanks a lot :smile:

What is the minimum engagement length of a bolt?

The minimum engagement length of a bolt is the minimum amount of threaded length required to ensure proper clamping force and prevent failure.

Why is the minimum engagement length important?

The minimum engagement length is important because it ensures that the bolt is securely fastened and can withstand the applied load without failing.

How is the minimum engagement length determined?

The minimum engagement length is determined by considering factors such as bolt material, diameter, pitch, and the material being fastened.

What happens if the minimum engagement length is not met?

If the minimum engagement length is not met, the bolt may not be able to generate enough clamping force to hold the joint together, leading to joint failure.

Can the minimum engagement length be shortened?

The minimum engagement length should not be shortened as it can compromise the integrity of the bolted joint and increase the risk of failure. It is recommended to follow the minimum engagement length guidelines provided by bolt manufacturers.