Minimum Initial Velocity for Deuterium Fusion in Center-of-Mass Frame

  • Thread starter Thread starter akmphy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
akmphy
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Please help me with this!

Two deuterium nuclei overcome the Coulomb
force of repulsion and attain the necessary
1 × 10−14 m distance for fusion.
What is the minimum initial velocity of
each nuclei, as measured in the center-of-
mass frame? The permittivity of free space
is 8.85419 × 10−12 C2/N · m2, the mass of a
proton is 1.67262 × 10−27 kg, the mass of a
neutron 1.67493 × 10−27 kg and the charge
on an electron −1.60218 × 10−19 C.
Answer in units of m/s.

2. Homework Equations
I do not know how to do this:
2mv.5(v)=ka/rm
r=separation b/w nuclei


3. The Attempt at a Solution
I am more than willing to work this out with someone. Usually I have an attempt; however, I believe I have no where to begin. Any help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


What's the mass of a deuterium nucleus? What's its charge?

What's the potential energy due to the Coulomb field for two deuterium nuclei at the specified separation?