What is the Initial Mass of Fuel Needed for a Rocket to Reach 0.1c?

In summary, the problem discusses the concept of chemical fuels and their corresponding exhaust speeds. The conversation then introduces a hypothetical fuel with an exhaust speed of 3 × 105 m/s and asks for the initial mass of fuel needed to achieve a final velocity of 0.1c for a final mass of 1 ton. The conversation includes equations and calculations, but encounters an issue of getting an infinite result due to an inconsistency in the use of the initial speed, v0, and the exhaust speed, v0. The conversation also mentions the use of a non-relativistic rocket equation, although it may not make a significant difference in this specific problem.
Dopplershift
The problem states:
Typical chemical fuels yield exhaust speeds of the order of 103 m/s. Let us imagine we had a fuel that gives v0 = 3 × 105 m/s. What initial mass of fuel would the rocket need in order to attain a final velocity of 0.1c for a final mass of 1 ton?

I derived the equation in the first part of the problem:
\begin{equation}
v - v_0 = v_e \ln(\frac{m_0}{m})
\end{equation}

Solving for the initial mass, m, yields
\begin{equation}
m_0 = me^{\frac{\Delta v}{v_e)}}
\end{equation}

I plug in that.

0.1c = 3.0*10^7
v0 = 3.0*10^5
vee = 1.0*10^3
v - v0 = 3.0 *10^7 - 3.0*10^5 = 2.97*10^7
m = 1000 kg
I plug in these numbers and I am getting infinity. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial velocity should be 0, not 3*105 m/s.

3*105 m/s is the exhaust velocity of the hypothetical fuel, the number for chemical rockets is just given as comparison. The number will be very large, but you should't get infinity anywhere.

Please work with units, that makes it easier (especially for you) to spot mistakes.

mfb said:
The initial velocity should be 0, not 3*105 m/s.

3*105 m/s is the exhaust velocity of the hypothetical fuel, the number for chemical rockets is just given as comparison. The number will be very large, but you should't get infinity anywhere.

I'm confused, how is the initial velocity zero? It says that the fuel gives us a v0 of 3.0*105?

The problem is when I plug in the values of the conditions into my final equation, (equation 2).

Based on your formulas, m0 calculates to (1000 kg)*e^29700, which is approx 3.5 x 10^12901 (not infinity), but too large for your calculator.

Likes PeroK
scottdave said:
Based on your formulas, m0 calculates to (1000 kg)*e^29700, which is approx 3.5 x 10^12901 (not infinity), but too large for your calculator.
Thank you!

Dopplershift said:
how is the initial velocity zero? It says that the fuel gives us a v0 of 3.0*105?
If that v0 is the initial speed of the rocket then the question makes no sense. How can the fuel give it that initial speed, before any fuel is burnt? I believe v0 is the exhaust speed, and the question is saying that although a typical exhaust speed is only 1000m/s, just suppose we had one with an exhaust speed 300 times as great.

haruspex said:
If that v0 is the initial speed of the rocket then the question makes no sense. How can the fuel give it that initial speed, before any fuel is burnt? I believe v0 is the exhaust speed, and the question is saying that although a typical exhaust speed is only 1000m/s, just suppose we had one with an exhaust speed 300 times as great.
That is how I interpreted the question as well.

Dopplershift said:
Thank you!
In perspective, the mass of the Earth is 5.97 x 10^24 kg.

Likes Dopplershift
Dopplershift said:
The problem states:
Typical chemical fuels yield exhaust speeds of the order of 103 m/s. Let us imagine we had a fuel that gives v0 = 3 × 105 m/s. What initial mass of fuel would the rocket need in order to attain a final velocity of 0.1c for a final mass of 1 ton?

I derived the equation in the first part of the problem:
\begin{equation}
v - v_0 = v_e \ln(\frac{m_0}{m})
\end{equation}

Solving for the initial mass, m, yields
\begin{equation}
m_0 = me^{\frac{\Delta v}{v_e)}}
\end{equation}

I plug in that.

0.1c = 3.0*10^7
v0 = 3.0*10^5
vee = 1.0*10^3
v - v0 = 3.0 *10^7 - 3.0*10^5 = 2.97*10^7
m = 1000 kg
I plug in these numbers and I am getting infinity. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Your use of ##v_0## is inconsistent: in the rocket equation, ##v_0=## initial speed of the rocket, That is ##v_0 = 0## nowhere near ##3 \times 10^5## (m/s). The "speed" ##3 \times 10^5## (m/s) is the speed of the exhaust gas relative to the rocket body.

One final quibble: the rocket equation as you wrote it is for non-relativistic rockets, using classical mechanics and Newton's equations of motion. The final speed ##0.1 c## sought in this problem is getting a bit into territory where relativity matters, so in pirnciple one ought to use a relativistic version of the rocket eqution. Of course, it will make very little difference in this particular problem---but it is always a good idea to know what kinds of approximations you are using.

This problem is from May, it is unlikely that someone is still working on it.

1. What is Rocket's Initial Mass?

Rocket's Initial Mass refers to the total weight of a rocket at the beginning of a launch. It includes the weight of the rocket itself, as well as any fuel, payload, and other components.

2. Why is Rocket's Initial Mass important?

The Initial Mass of a rocket is important because it determines the amount of thrust needed to overcome the force of gravity and launch the rocket into space. It also affects the rocket's speed, trajectory, and overall success of the mission.

3. How is Rocket's Initial Mass calculated?

Rocket's Initial Mass is calculated by adding together the weight of all components of the rocket, including the rocket structure, engines, fuel, and payload. It is typically measured in kilograms.

4. How does Rocket's Initial Mass change during a launch?

During a launch, the rocket's Initial Mass decreases as the fuel is used up and the rocket gets lighter. This allows the rocket to accelerate faster as it travels through the atmosphere and into space.

5. What factors can affect Rocket's Initial Mass?

Several factors can affect Rocket's Initial Mass, including the type and amount of fuel used, the size and weight of the payload, and any additional components or equipment on board the rocket. Changes in these factors can significantly alter the Initial Mass and performance of the rocket.