Calculating Minimum Stopping Distance for a Car at Different Speeds

In summary, the minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 30 m/s is 60 m, including the distance traveled during the drivers reaction time of 0.560 s. The minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 38.0 m/s is 81.28 m.
klm
The minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 30 m/s is 60 m, including the distance traveled during the drivers reaction time of 0.560 s.
what is the min. stopping distance for the same car traveling at a speed of 38.0 m/s?

tried to use this equation v^2 - u^2 = 2 a s
but then didnt know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use that equation to figure out the car's acceleration. What distance did you use? (How far has the car traveled before the brakes are applied?)

43.2m is the real distance he first travels with the velocity of 30 m/s. because i subtracted 16.8 m from the 60 m.
so my a= 10.416

Good! Now apply that--in reverse--to the second case, where the speed is 38 m/s, to find the new total stopping distance. (You'll have to calculate a new "reaction time distance".) The car's acceleration remains the same.

i don't know how to find a new reaction time distance??
i used this formula :
0^2 - 38^2 = 2(10.416) x
and found x to be 69.3m but this is incorrect. can you please help me.

klm said:
i don't know how to find a new reaction time distance??
Do it the same way as before. How far does the car move before the brakes are applied?

38 x .56?
=21.28 m
but what do i do with that?

You add it to the other distance. Understand what happens when the person wants to stop: (1) there's a time delay due to reaction time, so the car moves some distance before the brakes are even applied; (2) once the brakes are applied, the car accelerates to a stop.

The total stopping distance is the sum of both of these distances.

you add 21.28 to 60? to get 81.28m?

klm said:
you add 21.28 to 60? to get 81.28m?
No. 60m was the total stopping distance for the 30m/s case--nothing to do with the 38 m/s case!

Add 21.28 m to the distance you calculated for the de-accelerating phase of the motion.

to the 69.3?
69.3+21.28 = 90.58?
sorry if i leave really quick i have to run to class in about 2 mins!

Yes.

THANK YOU! so so much

1. What is minimum stopping distance?

Minimum stopping distance refers to the shortest distance a moving object, such as a vehicle, can come to a complete stop without colliding with another object or person.

2. How is minimum stopping distance calculated?

The calculation for minimum stopping distance takes into account the initial speed of the object, the reaction time of the driver, and the braking distance of the vehicle.

3. Why is minimum stopping distance important?

Minimum stopping distance is important because it helps determine the safe following distance between vehicles and the required braking distance to avoid collisions. It also highlights the importance of maintaining a safe speed while driving.

4. Does minimum stopping distance vary for different types of vehicles?

Yes, the minimum stopping distance can vary for different types of vehicles depending on factors such as weight, tire traction, and braking system. For example, a heavier vehicle may require a longer stopping distance compared to a lighter vehicle.

5. How can minimum stopping distance be reduced?

The minimum stopping distance can be reduced by improving the braking system, maintaining proper tire pressure and tread, and driving at safe speeds. It is also important to always stay alert and avoid distractions while driving to decrease reaction time.