Minimum value of the electric field

In summary, the electric field at the surface of the inner sphere will be a minimum at a = b/2, where a is the radius of the inner sphere and b is the radius of the outer sphere.
Jason Williams

Homework Statement

The potential difference Δϕ between the plates of a spherical capacitor is kept constant. Show that the electric field at the surface of the inner sphere will be a minimum at a = b/2, where a is the radius of the inner sphere and b is the radius of the outer sphere.

Homework Equations

E = Q/(4*pi*ϵ0*r^2) between the inner and outer shells and E = sigma/ϵ0 at the surface of a conductor... sorry guys, I'm in a rush and I'm new to Physics Forums so please bear with me noobiness.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using E = -dV/dr, setting it equal to 0 and then solving for r, but that clearly doesn't give us the answer. I'm really just confused about how I should even be approaching this problem, and how to extract the E-field from the potential difference.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jason, Welcome to PF!

Can you express ##\Delta \phi## in terms of ##a, b## and ##Q##?

Hint: Think about the integral relationship between ##\Delta \phi## and ##E##.

Thanks for the reply and so glad to be here!

Well we know [tex]\Delta \phi= Q*(1/a - 1/b)/(4*pi*epsilon)[/tex], which we get from doing the integral of E.ds

But here's where I'm getting stuck. I'm trying to reason it out and I'm thinking that maybe the electric field is a minimum when the potential difference between point "a" and point "b" is at a minimum?

Jason Williams said:
Well we know [tex]\Delta \phi= Q*(1/a - 1/b)/(4*pi*epsilon)[/tex], which we get from doing the integral of E.ds
OK, good.

Note that ##\Delta \phi## is fixed. It's assumed to be held constant as you vary ##b##. Does ##Q## vary as ##b## varies?

Last edited:
Right so if [tex]\Delta \phi[/tex] is fixed, the only thing that can be changed are $$a$$ and $$b$$, which then alter the electric field. I don't think Q would change as we vary $$b$$ because we set the inner conductor to have charge $$Q$$ in the beginning.

The potential difference ##\Delta \phi## and ##a## are held fixed. You then want to vary ##b## so that Eb is a minimum, where Eb is the field at the outer conductor.

[CORRECTION: See post #13.]

Q is not fixed. You can think of the capacitor as connected to a battery that keeps ##\Delta \phi## constant. As you vary the separation between the plates, the battery will change Q in order to keep the potential difference fixed.

Can you think of a way to relate Q to b and Eb?

Last edited:
Okay the battery analogy makes sense. But isn't the question asking us to show that the electric field at the surface of the inner sphere will be a minimum if a = b/2?

Yes. Can you find Eb as a function of b? You have all the necessary equations.

Yes, E_b = Q/(4*pi*ϵ0*b^2). I'm sorry for being so slow, but I still don't understand how that helps. Using that, equation, we have two things that change, both Q and b.

You have another equation that relates Q to ##\Delta \phi## and b.

Okay, so using $$ E_b = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0b^2} $$ and $$ Q = \Delta \phi \frac{(4\pi\epsilon_0)}{(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b})} $$, giving us $$ E = \frac{\Delta \phi}{(\frac{b^2}{a} - b)} $$.

And then we find the minimum from there. Okay, I think I got it now. Thank you so much for all your help and patience!

Good.

OOPS! Sorry, Jason. Somehow I misread the problem as minimizing the field at r = b. Instead, you want to minimize the field at r = a. Looks like you need to assume b is fixed and vary a.

Last edited:
Ahh okay, yeah that's what I figured and changed it in my homework. Thanks so much again!

1. What is the minimum value of the electric field?

The minimum value of the electric field is zero. This means that there is no electric field at that point.

2. How is the minimum value of the electric field measured?

The minimum value of the electric field is measured using a device called an electric field sensor, which can detect the presence and strength of an electric field at a specific point in space.

3. Can the minimum value of the electric field be negative?

No, the minimum value of the electric field cannot be negative. Electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges, so the direction of the electric field is always positive.

4. Why is the minimum value of the electric field important?

The minimum value of the electric field is important because it helps us understand the strength and direction of the electric field at different points in space. It also plays a crucial role in various electrical calculations and applications.

5. How does the minimum value of the electric field relate to electric potential?

The minimum value of the electric field is directly related to the electric potential at a specific point. In fact, the electric field is defined as the negative gradient of the electric potential, so the minimum value of the electric field occurs at points where the electric potential is at its lowest.