Missed My Physics GRE Signup, What To Do?

In summary, the speaker is graduating with a BSc in Physics and wants to go to graduate school. They missed the sign-up deadline for the Physics GRE, but have taken the general GRE. They are advised to sign up for the next offering of the Physics GRE and to apply to their desired schools, informing them that the Physics GRE is on the way. It is also mentioned that some schools may not require the Physics GRE. The speaker is considering going abroad for their masters, where the GRE may not be required.
Legaldose
I am graduating with my BSc in Physics next spring and I want to go to graduate school. The problem being that I missed the sign up date for the Physics GRE, I did however, take the general GRE. What can I do now to get into graduate school?

Physics news on Phys.org

Apply to the schools you want and tell them it's on the way when they ask. Now go out and sign up for it. Some schools may not need the physics GRE.

Okay thanks for the advice so far. I've been really interested in going abroad to get my masters, they don't seem to require any GRE. Would it be a good idea?

First of all, don't panic. Missing the sign up date for the Physics GRE does not mean the end of your graduate school plans. There are still several options available to you.

1. Check with the schools you are interested in: Some schools may have a later deadline for the Physics GRE or may not require it at all. Reach out to the admissions office of the schools you are interested in and inquire about their policies regarding the Physics GRE.

2. Take the Physics GRE at a later date: The Physics GRE is offered multiple times throughout the year. You can register for a later test date and submit your scores to the schools you are applying to.

3. Highlight your strengths in other areas: Since you have already taken the general GRE, focus on showcasing your strengths in other areas such as your coursework, research experience, and letters of recommendation. These aspects of your application can also demonstrate your potential for success in graduate school.

4. Consider applying for a master's program: If you are unable to take the Physics GRE in time for the graduate school application deadlines, consider applying for a master's program in physics. This will give you the opportunity to strengthen your application and gain more experience before applying for a PhD program.

In any case, it is important to communicate with the schools you are interested in and explain your situation. They may be willing to make exceptions or provide alternative options for your application. Remember, missing the Physics GRE does not define your potential as a graduate student. Focus on showcasing your strengths and passion for physics in your application materials. Good luck!

1. What is the Physics GRE and why is it important?

The Physics GRE is an exam designed to assess a student's understanding of physics concepts and their ability to apply them. It is important for students who are applying to graduate programs in physics or related fields, as many schools require it as part of their admissions process.

2. What should I do if I missed the signup deadline for the Physics GRE?

If you missed the signup deadline, you may still be able to take the exam by contacting the testing center directly. However, there is no guarantee that they will be able to accommodate you. It is best to contact them as soon as possible to see if they can make any arrangements.

3. Can I still apply to graduate programs if I miss the Physics GRE?

It depends on the specific program and their admissions requirements. Some programs may allow you to submit your Physics GRE scores at a later date, while others may require it to be completed before the application deadline. It is best to check with the programs you are interested in to see if they have any flexibility in their requirements.

4. Is it possible to retake the Physics GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the Physics GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, there are certain restrictions on how often you can retake the exam. It is also important to consider if a retake is necessary, as some programs may only consider your highest score while others may average all of your scores.

5. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for the Physics GRE?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you prepare for the Physics GRE. Some options include study guides, practice exams, and online resources. It is also helpful to review your undergraduate physics coursework and to seek guidance from professors or tutors if needed.