Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missing element in ANSYS classic

1. Jul 21, 2012 #1
    while working with ansys classic, while adding link element 2D spar is not available in the list,do i need to install it additionally? if yes how? or otherwise what can i do?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2
    Hi,

I think you can create this element by script. Is it link180 ?
    I always encounter this problem with pipe16-18-59 or link8-10-180, often used in the old ansys versions. You can use old elements even If they are not listed in your last ansys version because replaced by new updated elements. However it is not possible by mouse clics in GUI, the only way is the APDL language in GUI or by script.

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    That is an unsupported element type but it is still available.

ET,1,LINK180

The above command sets Element Type 1 to be LINK180.

There are lots of undocumented commands that are still available due to legacy issues.

5. Oct 25, 2014 #4
    Sure, for link180 as example, you have to set the behavior (tension/compression) with real constant (before v14.5) or with keyoption (in v14.5) thus function of your Ansys version. Consequently be carefull because these types of evolution/modification could be miss in release note.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook