Mistake in Schaum's Group Theory?

In summary: Thanks. This is helpful. A 1-1 map between vector spaces is a linear transformation if and only if it preserves the composition of vectors. This is an easy exercise: Every 1-1 map between vector spaces is linear, because composition is associative and commutative.
You said earlier that ##AB=I## is given. I think you confused the order now. This is very confusing, as the order is all we talk about. But given ##AB=I## the following doesn't make much sense:
WWGD said:
##BABB^{-1} =I ## implies ##AB=AB^{-1} ## , not necessarily the identity. Maybe we can argue:
##BA=I ## , then ##AB= ABAB=I \rightarrow (AB)^n =I ## , has only identity as solution ( since this is true for all natural ##n## )?
If we allow a left inverse ##CA=I## then we immediately have ##B=IB=(CA)B=C(AB)=CI=C##. The existence of ##C## is the problem. To write it as ##B^{-1}## is cheating.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
You said earlier that ##AB=I## is given. I think you confused the order now. This is very confusing, as the order is all we talk about. But given ##AB=I## the following doesn't make much sense:

If we allow a left inverse ##CA=I## then we immediately have ##B=IB=(CA)B=C(AB)=CI=C##. The existence of ##C## is the problem. To write it as ##B^{-1}## is cheating.
Yes, my bad, mixed both things up. Let me go for another doppio, a 2-sided doppio. I intended a post to contain left- and right - inverses, but I somehow got logged off a few times and lost track of what I was doing :(.

Ok, this is the argument I intended:
Assume ##AB=I ##
Then ##BA=B(AB)A=(BA)^2=I ## ( just need associativity) and we can extend to ##(BA)^n =I ## for all n

WWGD said:
Ok, this is the argument I intended:
Assume ##AB=I ##
Then ##BA=B(AB)A=(BA)^2=I ## ( just need associativity) and we can extend to ##(BA)^n =I ## for all n
That's wrong. If ##BA=C## then all we have is ##C=BA=B(AB)A = (BA)^2=C^2## and per recursion ##C=C^n## for all ##n##. Since there are unipotent matrices which are not the identity, I don't see how ##C=I## should follow.

fresh_42 said:
That's wrong. If ##BA=C## then all we have is ##C=BA=B(AB)A = (BA)^2=C^2## and per recursion ##C=C^n## for all ##n##. Since there are unipotent matrices which are not the identity, I don't see how ##C=I## should follow.
Yes, use BA or C either way. And, no, not . ##C^n =C ## for _some_ n, but ##C^n =C ## _for all_ n . Do you have a non-ID C with ##C^2=C^3=...=C^n =I ## ? Maybe, I don't know of one. Also DetC =1 here, let's assume Real entries. If not, the determinant is a 2nd, 3rd,...n-th,... root of unity. Is there such number?

WWGD said:
Yes, use BA or C either way. And, no, not . ##C^n =C ## for _some_ n, but ##C^n =C ## _for all_ n . Do you have a non-ID C with ##C^2=C^3=...=C^n =I ## ?
That's what I said, for all ##n##. And, no, I don't have such a ##C##, but this isn't a formal proof, especially if we do not use linear algebra.

fresh_42 said:
That's what I said, for all ##n##. And, no, I don't have such a ##C##, but this isn't a formal proof, especially if we do not use linear algebra.
Yes, I know, I never said it is a proof. But this matrix BA satisfies infinitely many polynomials ##C^n-C =0 ##, which is also strange, but, I admit, not a proof (yet?).

Just experimenting before aiming for a formal proof.

Well, we have ##C=0## is a solution, too. And theoretically we can have zero divisors from the left and not from the right and similar nasty things. But the question "can we prove ##G=GL(V)## is a group" without using linear algebra, and only ##AB=I## is probably doomed to fail, as @Math_QED mentioned correctly, that it doesn't work in rings. But if it's a group, then we are done. If we do not allow this, we have to use something from the definition of ##G##, and that is linear algebra.

fresh_42 said:
Well, we have ##C=0## is a solution, too. And theoretically we can have zero divisors from the left and not from the right and similar nasty things. But the question "can we prove ##G=GL(V)## is a group" without using linear algebra, and only ##AB=I## is probably doomed to fail, as @Math_QED mentioned correctly, that it doesn't work in rings. But if it's a group, then we are done. If we do not allow this, we have to use something from the definition of ##G##, and that is linear algebra.
C=0 Is not a solution ##AB=I ## so ##Det(AB)=DetADetB=1 ## , and ##DetC=DetBA =1 ## , but Det0=0. EDIT: ##DetC =1 ##or if you allow Complexes and ##Detc \neq 1##, DetC is a 2nd,3rd,..., nth,... root of unity.

WWGD said:
C=0 Is not a solution AB=I so Det(AB)=DetADetB=1 , and Det0 =0.
We are still on the necessity part. The damn existence of ##C## is the problem. And ##0## is a solution to ##C=C^n## for all ##n##. If you use the determinant, you have to mention the field! What I say: we will need some argument from LA. In the end we could simply write down the formula for the inverse in terms of ##A## and good is.

fresh_42 said:
We are still on the necessity part. The damn existence of ##C## is the problem. And ##0## is a solution to ##C=C^n## for all ##n##. If you use the determinant, you have to mention the field! What I say: we will need some argument from LA.
Well, yes, no finite fields, so C^n=C. And I had specified Complexes or Reals. Anyway, I don't see how this relates to Los Angeles, LA ;), but at any rate, I think we may be able to relax condition of linearity. All we need is scaling property and showing the image is not meager, i.e. the image contains a ball about the origin , then if we consider a line segment y=cx from the origin, we consider the multiples of that segment and every point is hit in that way.

We still have the difficulty that zero divisors are possible as long as we haven't a group. The (unique) solvability of ##x A = B## is equivalent to the group axioms, so we circle around the main topic. Guess we have to visit La La Land.

Likes member 587159
the integers are a group in which all non zero subgroups are normal and isomorphic, but the quotients can be any finite cyclic group.

Likes member 587159 and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
##(0,1) \stackrel{\operatorname{id}}{\hookrightarrow} \mathbb{R}-\{\,0\,\}\stackrel{\varphi}{\rightarrowtail} (-\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{4}) -\{\,0\,\} \stackrel{+\frac{1}{3}}{\hookrightarrow} (0,1)##
where I only need a bijection ##\varphi## between the real line and an open interval, both without zero to make it easier.
If I understand what your notation conveys, the last bit should be ## \stackrel{+\frac{1}{4}}{\hookrightarrow} (0,1)##, since you're adding 1/4 to each element of the punctured interval (-1/4, 1/4).

Mark44 said:
If I understand what your notation conveys, the last bit should be ## \stackrel{+\frac{1}{4}}{\hookrightarrow} (0,1)##, since you're adding 1/4 to each element of the punctured interval (-1/4, 1/4).
No, I just wanted to shift it into the interval injectively. The amount didn't matter. With ##\frac{1}{4}## I would have had to deal with the zero, which I avoided by taking ##\frac{1}{3}##.

fresh_42 said:
We still have the difficulty that zero divisors are possible as long as we haven't a group. The (unique) solvability of ##x A = B## is equivalent to the group axioms, so we circle around the main topic. Guess we have to visit La La Land.
Where are you getting your scalars? We're talking coefficients in a field of characteristic zero now, aren't we?

WWGD said:
Where are you getting your scalars? We're talking coefficients in a field of characteristic zero now, aren't we?
O.k., but matrices can still multiply to zero. However, since @mathwonk #49 I consider our riddle solved.