What are double cosets in group theory?

• I
  • Thread starter Heidi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosets
In summary, the conversation is about discussing the concept of double cosets and understanding the meaning of the slashes and antislashes in the notation. The conversation also touches upon the importance of distinguishing between left and right operations when dealing with double cosets and how associativity plays a role. The mention of subgroups of G is also relevant in understanding the concept.
Heidi
Hi Pfs
It is the first time that reas something about "double cosets"
it was in this paper
https://arxiv.org/pdf/0810.2091.pdf
At page 4 i read
∆1\SU(3)/∆1 = ∆\U(3)/∆
Could you help to understand what are these sets (or cosets)?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a coset (double coset) is? In other words are you asking what double cosets are, or are you asking what these specific ones are?

I would like to get the meaning of the slashs and anti slashs
in the wikipedia double coset article i found the notations
H\G/K and (H\G)/K and H\(G/K)
i suppose that the slash is for a quotient but what is the antislash for?

Heidi said:
i suppose that the slash is for a quotient but what is the antislash for?
If we have double cosets, then we have to distinguish right and left operations, i.e. multiplication from left and right. The two slashes are meant to do this, backslash for the left coset, and slash for the right coset. There is no deeper meaning.

Ah, I got confused until I realized the groups by which we fsctor are all subgroups of G. Then also associaivity kicks in and the triple product on both sides makes sense.

1. What are double cosets in group theory?

Double cosets in group theory are a way of partitioning a group into smaller subsets based on its subgroups. They are defined as the set of all products of left cosets and right cosets of a subgroup within a group.

2. How are double cosets different from regular cosets?

Regular cosets are formed by multiplying a subgroup by a single element of a group, while double cosets are formed by multiplying a subgroup by both a left and right coset of a group. This results in a larger partition of the group into more subsets.

3. What is the significance of double cosets in group theory?

Double cosets play an important role in understanding the structure and properties of a group. They provide a way to analyze the relationship between subgroups and the larger group, and can also be used to classify groups into different types.

4. Can double cosets be used to determine the order of a group?

No, double cosets alone cannot determine the order of a group. They are just one aspect of group theory and do not provide enough information to determine the order of a group. Other methods, such as Lagrange's theorem, are needed to determine the order of a group.

5. How are double cosets related to the concept of normal subgroups?

Double cosets can help determine if a subgroup is normal in a group. If the double cosets of a subgroup are all equal, then the subgroup is normal. This is known as the double coset equality property and is a useful tool in proving the normality of subgroups.