1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Misunderstanding part of pascals identity algebraic proof

1. Aug 12, 2013 #1
    I understand the combinatorial proof and the common sense behind why it works but lately I am trying to play around with proofs since I am still new to them. So I understand part of this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...QIUvOZD4K6yQHDp4Bw&ved=0CGAQ9QEwBjgK&dur=1607

Where I am getting confused is the step where we combine terms. The denominator of the first term is (n-k+1)k!(n-k)! , and the denominator of the second term is k(k-1)!(n-k+1)!

Then on the next line the denominator is k!(n-k+1)!.

How is that a common denominator for those two terms? I see there is a (n-k+1)! in both terms.....but in the second term there is a k(k-1)! and in the first term there is a k!(n-k)!....how do those two terms somehow both reduce to k!?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It works because of the way the factorial is defined:
    $$k! = k \cdot \underbrace{(k - 1) \cdot (k - 2) \cdots 2 \cdot 1}_{{} = (k - 1)!}$$
    Similarly, you can show that (n - k + 1) * (n - k)! = (n - k + 1)!.

This is actually the reason for taking the first step: multiplying denominator and numerator by the same number so that the denominators become equal.

4. Aug 14, 2013 #3
    Ok, that makes sense. But how does [(n-k+1)n!kn!]/[k!(n-k+1)!] simpylify to [(n+1)n!]/[k!((n+1)-k)!]

Totally lost as to how that step happened

5. Aug 14, 2013 #4
    For the numerator,
    [tex](n-k+1)n!kn![/tex]can you see that this is:
    [tex][(n-k+1)+k]n![/tex] ?

...which equals:
    [tex](n+1)n![/tex]
    For the denominator, surely you can see that [itex]n-k+1=(n+1)-k[/itex]

6. Aug 14, 2013 #5
    How? (n−k+1)n!kn! = [(n-k+1)n!]*kn!, whereas [(n−k+1)+k]n! = [(n-k+1)n!]+kn!

Yeah, that part is obvious

7. Aug 14, 2013 #6
    Sorry, I made the mistake of quoting your misquote. :redface:

The numerator is actually [itex](n-k+1)n!+kn![/itex] which is [itex][(n-k+1)+k]n![/itex] which is [itex](n+1)n![/itex]

8. Aug 14, 2013 #7
    Ah, I understand now, thank you so much! That was bugging me for hours

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook