streeters
- 226
- 2
What is the mix of men and women in your physics classes at uni?
I am right to expect a sausage-fest?
I am right to expect a sausage-fest?
Defennder said:Expect men to overwhelmingly outnumber females. The male-female ratio is even worse for computer science.
loop quantum gravity said:Women can ruin your grades!
Defennder said:Expect men to overwhelmingly outnumber females. The male-female ratio is even worse for computer science.
You are reading too literally into my words here. "Worse" in this context doesn't imply that it is bad or undesirable in any way. What would the vast majority of people here have thought if I had said "even better" instead? That I dislike the idea of females in the sciences?Phrak said:why do you say worse rather than better. what's your problem?
You all blow me away. It's like peeling an onion and finding nothing to peel.
streeters said:But they're so much fun!
Ok, when I started this thread I wasn't expecting people to start talking about the Evils of Woman, let alone the Weaknesses of Man. I'd like to think most of us are not the Nerds people expect us to be (by that I mean we do have social skills that don't need a keyboard).
Interesting to see how other people function though.
Andy Resnick said:I agree with Phrak- there's something vaguely distateful about this thread.
Mentallic said:My high school physics class consists of 10 boys to each girl (sounds awfully like a horrific gang-rape) and my chemistry class is about 1:1.
I've noticed this elsewhere too, including the stats obtained from this thread. Is it something about physics that women avoid?
Defennder said:You are reading too literally into my words here. "Worse" in this context doesn't imply that it is bad or undesirable in any way. What would the vast majority of people here have thought if I had said "even better" instead? That I dislike the idea of females in the sciences?
I had thought my intended meaning was obvious enough as it is.
Mentallic said:Could you possibly support this with an educated explanation of why this might be so?![]()
tim_lou said:Not really. It's just sort of a hunch I have. I just feel that women tend to have better social skills; therefore they must put more time in it, and so that it must be more important to them.