1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mix of men and women in physics classes

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    What is the mix of men and women in your physics classes at uni?

I am right to expect a sausage-fest?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Expect men to overwhelmingly outnumber females. The male-female ratio is even worse for computer science.

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    For Physics I & II w/Calculus, the ratio was probably two guys for every girl.
    In my math classes (Calculus I-III) the ratio is actually 50/50, except for Linear Algebra, where we had 5 guys and 1 girl.

5. Sep 30, 2008 #4
    My classes are overwhelmingly dominated by males. We also don't have a single female faculty member here.

6. Sep 30, 2008 #5
    lol I might take french as an elective instead then.

7. Sep 30, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

As someone said here, in maths the ratio is rather even. I would say that for my math classes, I saw more girls than guys in tutorials.

8. Sep 30, 2008 #7
    At my uni, its about 50/50 for introductory math but not advanced math. All engineering courses may have a guy to girl ratio of 20-1 if there is even a girl in the class. The only science related field that has any girls is biology and medical sciences and thats basically it. My school has a ratio of 2.5 girls to every guy, yet I never see any of the girls. :(

9. Sep 30, 2008 #8

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's best not to pick the subjects you study based on perceived dating prospects.

10. Sep 30, 2008 #9

tmc

Here, math is about 1:1, whereas physics is about 4:1.

11. Sep 30, 2008 #10
    Oh cool, I'm planning to take physics. And Maths Camp was 4:1. At least the girls you get in those classes are quality though :biggrin: jj

12. Oct 1, 2008 #11

eri

My undergrad classes were all women, but that might have been because I went to a women's college. Which I would highly recommend for any women planning to go into computer science, physics, or engineering. Great education and you don't have to fight over the equipment.

Once I got to grad school for physics, there were about twice as many guys as girls.

13. Oct 5, 2008 #12
    In my engineering physics class, the ratio was probably close to...50 male to 1 female..

14. Oct 5, 2008 #13

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I didn't know tertiary education was also for getting the babes :tongue:

For me it seems promising because girls are just a distraction in class, even when the guys are the ones chatting in class.

15. Oct 5, 2008 #14
    From what I know, there are pretty much only two or three female physics majors in my year. And from what I've seen, the ratio is more like 10:1 (specially true when there are like only 4 people in the class).

16. Oct 8, 2008 #15
    How do you come up with a 10:1 ratio when there are only 4 people in the class?

There is a surprisingly small male:female ratio in my classes; I'd estimate it to be 3:1 to 4:1.

17. Oct 9, 2008 #16

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Males fill up the classes, with the occasional female in 40% of these sized classes?

18. Oct 9, 2008 #17
    I think it's better that there's a small percentage of women in maths and physics advanced classes, cause then as someone here already said your attention is pointed to the material not to the women there.

Women can ruine your grades!
    But then again, these are women and the grades are just numbers, and pointless numbers at that.

I remember in my first class in analysis on manifolds this past year there was one female student in class, and I remember that my attention was divided between looking at her and writing the notes from the lectruer (who wasn't female, ofcourse).
    Luckily for me she didn't continue to take this class. (-:

Maths and women don't go together!

Well they can, but for men they can't.

19. Oct 9, 2008 #18
    But they're so much fun!

Ok, when I started this thread I wasn't expecting people to start talking about the Evils of Woman, let alone the Weaknesses of Man. I'd like to think most of us are not the Nerds people expect us to be (by that I mean we do have social skills that don't need a keyboard).

Interesting to see how other people function though.

20. Oct 9, 2008 #19
    why do you say worse rather than better. what's your problem?

You all blow me away. It's like peeling an onion and finding nothing to peel.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  21. Oct 9, 2008 #20

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree with Phrak- there's something vaguely distateful about this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?