Mix of men and women in physics classes

• Thread starter streeters
  • Start date
Mentallic
Homework Helper
My hypothesis is that a lot more men than women are willing to make that sacrifice.
Could you possibly support this with an educated explanation of why this might be so? :smile:

My highschool physics class consists of 10 boys to each girl (sounds awfully like a horrific gang-rape) and my chemistry class is about 1:1.
I've noticed this elsewhere too, including the stats obtained from this thread. Is it something about physics that women avoid?
All I saw scrolling down the page was "gang-rape" and I started peeling with laughter.
The things I never thought I'd read on this forum

You are reading too literally into my words here. "Worse" in this context doesn't imply that it is bad or undesirable in any way. What would the vast majority of people here have thought if I had said "even better" instead? That I dislike the idea of females in the sciences?

I had thought my intended meaning was obvious enough as it is.
Just a casual challenge. No problem.

Could you possibly support this with an educated explanation of why this might be so? :smile:
Not really. It's just sort of a hunch I have. I just feel that women tend to have better social skills; therefore they must put more time in it, and so that it must be more important to them.

Mentallic
Homework Helper
Not really. It's just sort of a hunch I have. I just feel that women tend to have better social skills; therefore they must put more time in it, and so that it must be more important to them.
I thought we were talking about women distracting the men in classes due to sexual reasons. This is the difference between being able to concentrate in class, even though your friends are around; and being distracted in class by a girl you never speak to.

I think it's better that there's a small percentage of women in maths and physics advanced classes, cause then as someone here already said your attention is pointed to the material not to the women there.

Women can ruin your grades!
But then again, these are women and the grades are just numbers, and pointless numbers at that.

I remember in my first class in analysis on manifolds this past year there was one female student in class, and I remember that my attention was divided between looking at her and writing the notes from the lectruer (who wasn't female, ofcourse).
Luckily for me she didn't continue to take this class. (-:

Maths and women don't go together!

Well they can, but for men they can't.
If you're in an advanced math course of any kind and doing fine, you obviously have an excellent attention span, and enough self control and responsibility in general to do everything you have to to make it into university. You have all the mental faculties you need to ignore the girl and focus on your studies. Playing the guy card and saying it's too hard is at least as bad as girls who want to be treated as an equal until there is something to pay for and then play the girl card. Sexism is fun when it benefits you! Not.