Mixed Partial and non-partial derivative definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of a partial derivative with respect to a non-partial derivative, as well as the equation for finding the gradient vector of a function with multiple parameters using partial derivatives. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using the chain rule in relation to partial derivatives.
terryphi
Hi,

I have a derivative that states

grad f(x,y,z) = [die f/dx ; die f/dy; die f/dz]

I'm just wondering how I should interpret this partial derivative with respect to a non partial derivative.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking to find the gradient vector to some function f of parameters x. y, z.. Try the following equation:

[tex]\nabla f = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}j + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}k [/tex]

Where the i j k components are the partial derivatives of the function f with respect to the indicated variable.

If this is not what you're referring to you may need to look at the chain rule as it applies to partial derivatives.

What is the definition of a mixed partial derivative?

A mixed partial derivative is a type of derivative that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to two or more variables at the same time. It is the combination of partial derivatives with respect to different variables.

What is the difference between a mixed partial derivative and a non-partial derivative?

A mixed partial derivative includes the differentiation with respect to two or more variables at the same time, while a non-partial derivative only involves the differentiation with respect to one variable.

How do you calculate a mixed partial derivative?

To calculate a mixed partial derivative, you take the partial derivative of a function with respect to one variable, and then take the partial derivative of the result with respect to another variable.

What is the order of differentiation in a mixed partial derivative?

The order of differentiation in a mixed partial derivative does not matter, as long as the variables are correctly specified in the notation. However, the order of partial differentiation within the expression does matter.

What is the significance of mixed partial derivatives in science and mathematics?

Mixed partial derivatives are important in many fields of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. They allow us to understand the relationships between multiple variables and how they change simultaneously. They are also vital in optimization problems and the study of multivariable functions.