Mixed random variable distribution question

In summary: For a non-negative random variable ##X##, whether continuous, discrete or mixed, if ##F(x) = P(X \leq x)## is the CDF and ##G(x) = P(X > x)...For a non-negative random variable ##X##, whether continuous, discrete or mixed, if ##F(x) = P(X \leq x)## is the CDF and ##G(x) = P(X > x)## is the cumulative distribution function (CDF), then ##E[X] = F(x)G(x)##.
King_Silver

Homework Statement

See attached image (See below)

Homework Equations

Differential equations.
And a combination of discrete & continuous distributions

The Attempt at a Solution

The Continous Distribution Function (CDF) is given in the question. So I differentiated it with respect to x piecewise (See below). That is what I got

I can also see that there is a uniform distribution between 0 and 1 but also there are discrete points that have assigned probability. For example; those points could be 0,1 and 2? maybe?
I want to be able to find the value of c while remembering the sum of the probabilities must add up and equal to 1.

How do I go about solving for c? this is where I am stuck. I cannot seem to figure out where to go from here. Thanks!

Question:
2b.png
Differentiated with respect to xpiecewise.png
(When I differentiated it)

Attachments

• 2b.png
    2b.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,730
  • Differentiated with respect to xpiecewise.png
    Differentiated with respect to xpiecewise.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,149
Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation of the density function ##f## is not quite correct. The density is infinite at ##x=0,2## and also possibly at 1 (depending on the value of ##c##), because the CDF jumps up discontinuously at those points. We say there is a 'discrete probability mass' at those infinite-density points, meaning there is a non-zero probability of X having exactly that value.

You need to use the additional fact that ##E[X]=1##. Using the formulas you got for ##f##, corrected to also include the points of discrete probability mass at 0 and 2, write an expression for ##E[X]## in terms of ##c##. Equating that expression to 1 will give you an equation you can solve to find ##c##. The expression will be a sum of integrals and isolated discrete terms.

There are two cases to consider here - (1) where there is a discrete probability mass at ##x=1## and (2) where there is not. I suggest trying case (1) first. If that does not give an acceptable solution, try case (2).

Likes King_Silver
andrewkirk said:
The calculation of the density function ##f## is not quite correct. The density is infinite at ##x=0,2## and also possibly at 1 (depending on the value of ##c##), because the CDF jumps up discontinuously at those points. We say there is a 'discrete probability mass' at those infinite-density points, meaning there is a non-zero probability of X having exactly that value.

You need to use the additional fact that ##E[X]=1##. Using the formulas you got for ##f##, corrected to also include the points of discrete probability mass at 0 and 2, write an expression for ##E[X]## in terms of ##c##. Equating that expression to 1 will give you an equation you can solve to find ##c##. The expression will be a sum of integrals and isolated discrete terms.

There are two cases to consider here - (1) where there is a discrete probability mass at ##x=1## and (2) where there is not. I suggest trying case (1) first. If that does not give an acceptable solution, try case (2).

Thank you for that. I figured it might have had something to do with the expectation formula. E[X] = 1 in terms of c. There are definitions for the expectation of continuous random variables and for discrete ones as well. For a mixed distribution you would need to mix both definitions together right?
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to mix these two expectation formulas

King_Silver said:
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to mix these two expectation formulas
Just integrate ##xf(x)## over the domain excluding the discrete mass points, and add the sum across each of those points of (probability of landing on the point) x (value of x at that point).

andrewkirk said:
Just integrate ##xf(x)## over the domain excluding the discrete mass points, and add the sum across each of those points of (probability of landing on the point) x (value of x at that point).

This is what I did but I don't think I'm going in a correct direction. C = constant whereas c = the value I'm looking for.
1.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 687
King_Silver said:

Homework Statement

See attached image (See below)

Homework Equations

Differential equations.
And a combination of discrete & continuous distributions

The Attempt at a Solution

The Continous Distribution Function (CDF) is given in the question. So I differentiated it with respect to x piecewise (See below). That is what I got

I can also see that there is a uniform distribution between 0 and 1 but also there are discrete points that have assigned probability. For example; those points could be 0,1 and 2? maybe?
I want to be able to find the value of c while remembering the sum of the probabilities must add up and equal to 1.

How do I go about solving for c? this is where I am stuck. I cannot seem to figure out where to go from here. Thanks!

Question:
View attachment 213731 View attachment 213732(When I differentiated it)

For a non-negative random variable ##X##, whether continuous, discrete or mixed, if ##F(x) = P(X \leq x)## is the CDF and ##G(x) = P(X > x) = 1 - F(x)## is the complementary CDF, then we have that
$$ EX = \int_0^{\infty} G(x) \, dx $$
You can do the integral in terms of ##c## and so get an equation for ##c##.

Likes StoneTemplePython and King_Silver
Ray Vickson said:
For a non-negative random variable ##X##, whether continuous, discrete or mixed, if ##F(x) = P(X \leq x)## is the CDF and ##G(x) = P(X > x) = 1 - F(x)## is the complementary CDF, then we have that
$$ EX = \int_0^{\infty} G(x) \, dx $$
You can do the integral in terms of ##c## and so get an equation for ##c##.

I got a c value of 1/3 by doing this (1 = c/2 + ½ -c + 2/3 )
Then for part (i): Probability = 1/6th or 16.67%
(ii) Probability = 2/3rds or 66.67%
(iii) Probability = 1/3rd or 33.3%
(iv) Probability = 1/2 or 50%

I think I've got it now providing those are the right answers!

King_Silver said:
I got a c value of 1/3 by doing this (1 = c/2 + ½ -c + 2/3 )
Then for part (i): Probability = 1/6th or 16.67%
(ii) Probability = 2/3rds or 66.67%
(iii) Probability = 1/3rd or 33.3%
(iv) Probability = 1/2 or 50%

I think I've got it now providing those are the right answers!

The first two are; I have not checked the other two.

However, in English, "1/6" is already pronounced as "one-sixth", so when you write 1/6th you are really writing "one-sixth-th". Thus, the The first two answers are just 1/6 and 2/3 (not "two-thirds-irds").

Last edited:

1. What is a mixed random variable distribution?

A mixed random variable distribution is a type of probability distribution that combines components from multiple types of probability distributions. It can contain both discrete and continuous random variables, making it more complex than a single type of distribution.

2. How is a mixed random variable distribution different from other types of distributions?

A mixed random variable distribution differs from other distributions in that it can contain components from both discrete and continuous distributions. This allows for more flexibility and complexity in modeling real-world phenomena.

3. What are some examples of phenomena that can be modeled using a mixed random variable distribution?

A mixed random variable distribution can be used to model a variety of phenomena, such as the number of defects in a manufacturing process, the arrival times of customers at a store, or the amount of time it takes to complete a task. Essentially, any situation that involves a combination of discrete and continuous variables can be modeled using a mixed random variable distribution.

4. How is a mixed random variable distribution calculated?

The calculation of a mixed random variable distribution depends on the specific components that make up the distribution. In general, the probability of a specific outcome is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each component and summing them together. However, it is important to consult a statistical software or reference material for the specific formula to use for a given distribution.

5. What are the advantages of using a mixed random variable distribution?

A mixed random variable distribution offers several advantages over using a single type of distribution. It allows for more accurate modeling of real-world phenomena that involve a combination of discrete and continuous variables. It also provides more flexibility in the types of data that can be used and allows for more complex and nuanced analyses. Additionally, a mixed random variable distribution can provide more accurate predictions and a better understanding of the underlying processes at play.