Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mixed symmetry property and degrees of freedom

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    How can I calculate degrees of freedom of a rank (o,3) tensor, Aabc, that is mixed symmetry and antisymmetric in the first 2 indices? By mixed symmetry I mean this:
    Aabc+Acab+Abca=0.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

You have 3*3*3=27 options for [itex]A_{ijk}[/itex].

Now by antisymmetry terms like A_{abc}=-A_{bac};
    A_{cab}=-A_{acb}; A_{bca}=-A_{cba};

So only 27-3=24 terms are independent, now after the mixed symmetry we are left with:
    24-1=23 (cause one term depends on the other two).

So we are left with 5 dof.

Hope I helped somehow.
    Edit:
    Obviously that terms with the same first two indices are zero, and we have 3*2=6 such terms, so we are left with 23-6=17 dof.
    After that we have terms like:
    A_{abb}=-A_{bab}; A_{acc}=-A_{cac} ; A_{cbb}=-A_{bcb}; A_{caa}=-A_{aca} ; A_{bcc}=-A_{cbc} ; A_{baa}=-A_{aba}
    Which means in the end:
    17-6=11 dof.

I hope I counted right this time. :-D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  4. Jul 28, 2012 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

BTW this raises a nice programming task of how to compute some arbitrary tensor of rank [itex]0\choose n[/itex] with the above constraints.

Pitty I am not that good programmer.

5. Aug 7, 2012 #4
    For a rank (0,3) tensor, Aabc, without any constraint, degrees of freedom are 216, a,b,c = 0, ..., 6.

If this tensor is antisymmetric in the first 2 indices, degrees of freedom dicrease to 90.

If it is mixed symmetry, the number of constraint equations are:

[itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!}[/itex], a,b,c=0, ..., n.

For our example n = 6 so, the number of constraint equations are 20 therefore degrees of freedom are 70.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook