Mixing bracket types when writing solutions?

In summary: Yes, it is perfectly fine to mix types of brackets when writing a solution to make it clearer. It is recommended to use different brackets to show the grouping of expressions, especially when completing the square. In the example given, using both square and round brackets helps to clarify the steps in solving the equation. Additionally, dividing both sides by 3 can eliminate the need for the big brackets. However, if that is not possible, using square brackets is also acceptable. The use of multiple brackets can be seen in various mathematical expressions, and it helps to make the solution more organized and easy to understand.
trollcast
Gold Member
Is it okay to mix the types of brackets you use when writing out a solution to help make it a bit clearer?

For example:

If I was completeing the square with:

$$ 3x^{2} + 5x -2 = 0 $$

I would factor out the 3 onto square brackets like this:

[itex]3 \left[x^{2} + \frac{5}{3}x - \frac{2}{3} \right] = 0 [/itex]

Then do my competing the square with round brackets:

$$ 3 \left[ \left( x + \frac{5}{6} \right)^{2} -\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^{2} - \frac{2}{3} \right] = 0 $$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is perfectly ok. It is even recommended.

Also, I think you made some calculations errors when completing the square.

micromass said:
Yes, that is perfectly ok. It is even recommended.

Also, I think you made some calculations errors when completing the square.

Thanks,

There probably are errors as I was about ready to punch my tv trying to get latex to put in the brackets, turns out I had spelled right as rigt.

Edit: I think fixed the mistake.

In your example, I would divide both sides by 3, then you do not need the big brackets at all.
If that is not possible, [ ] are fine.

mfb said:
In your example, I would divide both sides by 3, then you do not need the big brackets at all.
If that is not possible, [ ] are fine.

In some questions they ask for the answer in the form, $$ a(x - b)^{2} + c $$

But yeah if I was just solving to find x I'd divide through, I probably have a few better examples here of where you could use multiple brackets but that was what came to mind first.

If the question is indeed about 'bracketing' and not about completing the square, then I can only say that what you're doing is not right in my book, brackets 'evolve', as the expression gets more complicated. First you place a round bracket, then if you need to put a round bracket into the first round bracket, the initial round brackets become square. If furthermore, you need a new round bracket into the newly created round bracket, the square one will become a brace, the previously existing round bracket will become square. And more, well, the number of braces will increase, since we don't have new types anymore.

Maybe it's a British English vs. American English thing, but as I learned them, there are
  • brackets - [] (AKA "square brackets", which IMO is redundant, since brackets already are square)
  • braces - {} (AKA "curly" brackets)
  • parentheses - () (AKA "round" brackets)

Apparently Dirac called these things <> brackets, else he would not have coined the words bra for <| and ket for |>. :biggrin:

They're also called angle brackets. They're not normally used for grouping mathematical expressions, I don't believe.

Not to mention those things that hold your trousers up.

Can also embrace the use of different sized parenthesis pairs, e.g.,

23((4x + 5) - x(x + 1))

1. Can I mix bracket types (e.g. [, (, {) when writing solutions?

Yes, you can mix bracket types as long as they are used consistently and follow the correct syntax rules for the language you are using.

2. What are the potential consequences of mixing bracket types?

Mixing bracket types can lead to syntax errors in your code, making it difficult to debug and potentially causing your program to not run properly.

3. Is there a preferred bracket type to use when writing solutions?

There is no one preferred bracket type, as it often depends on personal preference or the coding style guidelines of the language or organization you are working with.

4. Can I mix bracket types within the same code block or function?

No, it is important to maintain consistency within the same code block or function. Mixing bracket types within the same block can lead to confusion and errors.

5. Are there any programming languages that do not allow mixing bracket types?

Some programming languages, such as Python, do not allow mixing bracket types. In these languages, it is important to use the designated bracket type consistently.