Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling of toroidal transformer

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1
    I want to model a toroidal transformer with a given permeability and saturation flux density. Specifically, I want to model a split core toroid clipped onto a power line, to simulate coupling, so it is really a one turn secondary and a primary of arbitrary turns.

Any software packages out there that are able to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2
    There are magnetic design packages, but why bother? This is so simple, you can do it on a 4x6 index card in a few minutes. It's little more than an Amprobe (tm). Is there some detail that you specifically want to see?

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3
    I'm looking at using different types of material (e.g., nanochrystalline, amorphous, electrical steel) with different geometries and air gaps. I also want to assess the coupling at different frequencies (in the kHz range), so it becomes a more involved problem than just working out the inductance of a toroid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook