Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling T-Stub as Beam (having difficulty)

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1
    Hi all, I am trying to find the slope of a T-stub joint at the bolt in order to find the bending stress of the bolt.

I have drawn 1/2 of the T-stub as a beam. The beam analysis requires (for physicality) that the slope at each side of the beam to be zero. There is an applied load, a bolt load, and a prying load.

This problem is certainly statically indeterminate... I have tried a few methods of circumventing this (superposition, deflection equations) yet still always end up with 1 more unknown than equation.

Can anyone take a look and see if (a) im making the right assumptions, and (b) how to tackle this problem?

Much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2013 #2
    I have since updated my analysis by assuming the deflection at the bolt is equivalent to the bolt reaction divided by the bolt stiffness, kb.

I have attached all of my equations.

I am getting Rb = 43 and Rc = 13 , (with applied load of T = 30) in my beam analysis.

Modeling the beam in ANSYS i get RB = -10, RC = 20 ... So there appears to be an error somewhere.

Anyone feel like looking through my scribble to help me out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook