Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cantilever statically indeterminate beam with point load

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1
    hi
    please if any one can tell me how i can get the following equation (attachments) of deflection for statically indeterminate cantilever beam with point load (attachments). i'm not an engineering student and having difficulty in coming up with boundary conditions.
    looking for help. thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At the built-in end, the deflection and slope of the beam are both equal to zero. At the propped end, only the deflection is equal to zero.

4. Aug 26, 2014 #3
    thank you SteamKing. it means at clamped end y(x) & dy/dx = 0 and propped end only dy/dx=o.

5. Aug 26, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You got it half right. At the propped end, the deflection y = 0, not the slope dy/dx, as can be seen by inspection of the figure.

6. Aug 26, 2014 #5
    i tried these condition to find the deflection equation (eq image in thumbnail) using eq M=EI d^2y/dx^2, by integration method. but when i find the constants of integration by applying these BC and put their values i got zero instead of above equation. please help!

Attached Files:

7. Aug 26, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you post your calculations? It might be easier than trying to go through the whole exercise from scratch.

8. Aug 31, 2014 #7
    thank you SteamKing, and sorry for late reply, part of my calculation is in attachment. i hope you understand my writing...

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook