Modelling a Heat Pump with Linear Compressor using MATLAB Simulink

In summary, the conversation discusses a final year mechanical engineering student who is designing a heat pump with a linear compressor for an electric vehicle. They are seeking help with the governing equations and formulas for each component of the heat pump, as well as guidance for sizing it. The student has some experience with MATLAB and Simulink, but is limited by a small budget and has only read articles on the topic. They are also struggling with their dissertation supervisor and are looking for other sources of information, such as service manuals and documentation from manufacturers of linear refrigerant compressors.
hazycam
Hello, I am a final year mechanical engineering student designing a heat pump with a linear compressor for an electric vehicle and have decided to model this using Simulink, I would love some help on the governing equations/formulas needed for each component of the heat pump as well as guidance in terms of sizing of the heat pump, I feel a little out of my depth and would appreciate any help, Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Please tell us what you know so far. What is your experience with Simulink? What kind of heat pump systems do you have experience with?

Been using MATLAB for 3ish years and only really just started with Simulink but can now model functions and subsystems, meaning I can setup equations of second order differentiations etc. The university has a small £150 budget so I am not able to use any physical heat pump and only know what I have read from numerous google scholar articles. My dissertation supervisor is a bit useless so I am on my own for this one!

Likes berkeman
Have you researched actual solutions for cabin cooling and heating used in commercially available electric cars?
Perhaps service manuals of e-cars are a good starting point, as well as available documentation from manufacturers of linear refrigerant compressors.

1. How does a heat pump work?

A heat pump works by transferring heat from one location to another using a refrigerant. It uses a compressor to circulate the refrigerant between an indoor and outdoor unit, absorbing heat from the outdoor air and releasing it into the indoor space.

2. What is a linear compressor?

A linear compressor is a type of compressor used in heat pumps that operates in a straight line motion, rather than a rotational motion. This allows for more efficient and precise control of the refrigerant flow, resulting in better performance and energy efficiency.

3. How can MATLAB Simulink be used to model a heat pump with a linear compressor?

MATLAB Simulink is a powerful tool for creating simulations of dynamic systems. It allows you to build a model of a heat pump with a linear compressor using pre-built blocks and components, and then simulate its behavior under different conditions to analyze its performance.

4. What are the benefits of modeling a heat pump with MATLAB Simulink?

Modeling a heat pump with MATLAB Simulink allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of its performance. It also allows for easy manipulation of variables and conditions to see how they affect the system. This can help in optimizing the design of the heat pump and identifying potential issues before they occur in real life.

5. Can the model created in MATLAB Simulink be used to control a real heat pump with a linear compressor?

Yes, the model created in MATLAB Simulink can be used to develop and test control algorithms for a real heat pump with a linear compressor. This can help in fine-tuning the control system and optimizing its performance before implementing it in the actual heat pump.