Modelling Acceleration to Constant Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a computer model for a car's power output during acceleration, drag, and rolling resistance. The model needs to account for a constant velocity after a certain point. Suggestions are made to use a play formula or a differential equation to model the effects.
Timeforheroes0
Hi there,

I'm trying to create a computer model which takes into account output power in a car due to acceleration, drag and rolling resistance. The car will be accelerating for a set amount of time and I am able to model the power required for this with respect to time, as well as the power required for the rolling resistance and drag as it is accelerating.
However, after it reaches a certain velocity, its velocity will remain constant (the acceleration power will drop to zero and the drag and rolling resistance will then be constant). Is there anyway of fitting all of this into one formula for programming purposes so that when it reaches a certain velocity it will then remain constant?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm..how precisely, have you modeled the acceleration?

Not very precisely at all. Just using basic equation of motions at a constant acceleration. I'm at a very basic level of the model so far and my brain isn't really working today. Basically, I'm trying to find a way to model the power output with respect to time incorporating both the accelerating and constant velocity sections using one equation. Will I need to use a differential equation?

If you just want a look-alike development (rather than something realistic), why not just model your final velocity as a constant?

I suppose I could do that. It's just I'm running it in MATLAB in respect to time (using a loop). So say I want to graph the output velocity at the end, it would be handy to have something that would give me a constant velocity after a certain number of iterations of the loop..

Well, use a play formula like the following then:
[tex]v(t)=v_{final}(1-e^{-kt})[/tex]
where "k" is a constant>0 modelling the effects of drag&resistance.

Likes 1 person
Looks good, will give that a go. Thank you..

Note that this equation is, basically, the solution of the following differential equation:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=F/m-kv[/tex]
where F/m is applied force per unit mass (considered for simplicity as a constant), and -kv a force per unit mass resistance term acting oppositely to the velocity.
We then have the relation:
v_final=F/(m*k)

Likes 1 person

1. What is "Modelling Acceleration to Constant Velocity"?

"Modelling Acceleration to Constant Velocity" is a scientific concept that refers to the process of representing the change in velocity of an object over time, from a state of acceleration to a state of constant velocity.

2. How is acceleration represented in this model?

In this model, acceleration is typically represented as a rate of change in velocity over time, often denoted as "a". It can also be represented graphically as a slope on a velocity-time graph.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be affected by various factors, including the net force acting on the object, its mass, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How is constant velocity achieved in this model?

In order for an object to reach a state of constant velocity, the net force acting on the object must be equal to zero. This means that the object is no longer accelerating and is moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

5. What is the importance of understanding this model in scientific research?

Understanding the concept of "Modelling Acceleration to Constant Velocity" is crucial in various fields of scientific research, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps us to accurately predict and analyze the motion of objects, and is also essential in developing new technologies and designing experiments.