Modelling an Exponential Curve

In summary, the person is asking for help in modeling an exponential equation using several given points. They are considering using the equation y = aebt and using two points to determine a and b. They also mention the option of using a least squares approach if the points have noise and do not fit a curve perfectly.
ProPM
Hi guys,

I need to model a curve and I am trying to come up with an exponential equation. I have several points I can work with and this is what I tried so far. (I want to know if this is the correct method or if there is a more precise way to go about this)

I am working on something of the format: a*bt

My first point in the graph will be when t = 0, hence, I presume the best pick for my value of a would be my first y coordinate point in the graph: 554.8

My doubt arises from this point on:

When I have 554.8*bt should I set up a pair or simultaneous equations or can I say that b is equal to the "rate of growth of my graph"? That is, if my y coordinate points are 609, 657.5 my rate of growth would be (657.5/609)

Since my graph is not a perfect exponential fit I was thinking of adding a constant:

a*bct

But that's something different.

Thanks,
ProPM

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd probably use y = aebt and use two points to determine a and b. A trick is to take the natural log of both sides so you end up with a linear equation. A more elaborate method (if the points have noise and don't fit a curve perfectly) would be a least squares approach, but that's much more involved (especially in the category of precalculus).

1. What is an exponential curve?

An exponential curve is a mathematical function that represents a rapid increase or decrease in values over time. It is characterized by a constant ratio between the values of the independent variable and the corresponding values of the dependent variable.

2. How is an exponential curve modeled?

An exponential curve is modeled using the equation y = ab^x, where a is the initial value, b is the growth or decay factor, and x is the independent variable (usually time).

3. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some common examples of exponential growth include population growth, compound interest, and the spread of infectious diseases.

4. How do you determine the growth or decay factor in an exponential curve?

The growth or decay factor (b) can be determined by calculating the ratio between any two consecutive values on the curve. This can be done by dividing the second value by the first value.

5. Can an exponential curve continue indefinitely?

Technically, yes, an exponential curve can continue indefinitely. However, in real-life situations, the growth or decay will eventually slow down due to limitations or constraints, such as resource availability or population size.