1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modelling an Exponential Curve

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi guys,

I need to model a curve and I am trying to come up with an exponential equation. I have several points I can work with and this is what I tried so far. (I want to know if this is the correct method or if there is a more precise way to go about this)

I am working on something of the format: a*bt

My first point in the graph will be when t = 0, hence, I presume the best pick for my value of a would be my first y coordinate point in the graph: 554.8

My doubt arises from this point on:

When I have 554.8*bt should I set up a pair or simultaneous equations or can I say that b is equal to the "rate of growth of my graph"? That is, if my y coordinate points are 609, 657.5 my rate of growth would be (657.5/609)

Since my graph is not a perfect exponential fit I was thinking of adding a constant:

a*bct

But that's something different.

Thanks,
    ProPM

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

I'd probably use y = aebt and use two points to determine a and b. A trick is to take the natural log of both sides so you end up with a linear equation. A more elaborate method (if the points have noise and don't fit a curve perfectly) would be a least squares approach, but that's much more involved (especially in the category of precalculus).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook