Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Modelling an Exponential Curve

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi guys,

I need to model a curve and I am trying to come up with an exponential equation. I have several points I can work with and this is what I tried so far. (I want to know if this is the correct method or if there is a more precise way to go about this)

I am working on something of the format: a*bt

My first point in the graph will be when t = 0, hence, I presume the best pick for my value of a would be my first y coordinate point in the graph: 554.8

My doubt arises from this point on:

When I have 554.8*bt should I set up a pair or simultaneous equations or can I say that b is equal to the "rate of growth of my graph"? That is, if my y coordinate points are 609, 657.5 my rate of growth would be (657.5/609)

Since my graph is not a perfect exponential fit I was thinking of adding a constant:

a*bct

But that's something different.

Thanks,
    ProPM

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

I'd probably use y = aebt and use two points to determine a and b. A trick is to take the natural log of both sides so you end up with a linear equation. A more elaborate method (if the points have noise and don't fit a curve perfectly) would be a least squares approach, but that's much more involved (especially in the category of precalculus).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook