Solving a Modelling Problem Involving a Sink

• Thread starter Harriet12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modelling
In summary, the conversation is about determining the dimensions of a sink for maximum cross-sectional area, using an equation and limited materials. The formula being used is c = L(60-(10+2L)), and the question is whether there is a flaw in the formula or if the person is on the right track. The solution appears to be finding the value of L, which is 12.5, and plugging it into the area equation to get a maximum area of 312.5.
Harriet12
I'm dong a question that involves a sink. The aim is to determine the dimensions of the sink (width and length) which will provide the greated cross-sectional area by modelling using an equation. Here's the catch: you are only allowed a sheet of stainless steel that it 60cm wide and a 5cm overlap has to be allowed for on either side of the sink.

So far I've figured this:
when:
c=cross-sectional ares
a=area
l=length
w=width

a= l x w
c=a
so c= l x w

w=60-(10+2L)

therefore:
c= L[60-(10+2L)]
c=60L-10L+2L^2

etc etc. when applying this formula like this:

L = c/w
L = L[60(10+2L)] / 60(10+2L)

eventually L turns out to be 0 (duh i didnt give it a value)
But here comes my question: is there a flaw in my formula or am i completely off-track? please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the picture...

Attachments

• sink.bmp
    95.7 KB · Views: 442
Harriet,

Perhaps you would clarify exactly what problem you are attempting to solve. I don't understand what you're looking for from what you wrote.

lets see what we have

2l + w + 10 = 60

a = l * w

w = 50 - 2l

so a = (50 - 2l) * l

da/dl = 50 - 4l

set = to 0

50 - 4 * l = 0

l = 12.5

plug it in the area equation

50(12.5) - 2(12.5) ^2 = 312.5

you can do the rest yes

1. What is a sink in a model?

A sink in a model is a component that represents a location or process where material is removed from the system. This could be in the form of drainage, absorption, or consumption.

2. How do you identify a sink in a model?

Sinks can be identified by looking for components that have an output flow or a decrease in material over time. They are often represented by a downward arrow in a model.

3. What are the challenges in solving a modelling problem involving a sink?

The main challenge in solving a modelling problem involving a sink is accurately representing the behavior of the sink in the model. This requires understanding the underlying processes and accurately estimating the parameters that govern the sink's behavior.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve a modelling problem involving a sink?

Some common techniques used to solve a modelling problem involving a sink include numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, and analytical methods, such as differential equations or optimization techniques.

5. How can the accuracy of a model with a sink be evaluated?

The accuracy of a model with a sink can be evaluated by comparing the model's predictions to real-world data or experimental results. This can be done through statistical analysis or by visually comparing the model output to the observed data.