Modern Algebra: Stabilizers and Conjugacy Classes of Dodec

In summary, my professor proved that the Dodecahedron is isomorphic to ##A_5## by utilizing the stabilizer of an edge, vertex or face. This is a valuable skill, but I couldn't follow his argument. Can anyone explain?
nateHI
My professor was proving that the Dodecahedron is isomorphic to ##A_5## and in the process utilized the stabilizer (which one can intuit ) of an edge, vertex or face to determine the conjugacy class (which is hard to intuit) of elements of the same order. This seems like a valuable skill but I couldn't follow his argument. Can anyone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have some group or group action associated to the Dodecahedron, or are you referring to its symmetries, or maybe something else?

WWGD said:
Do you have some group or group action associated to the Dodecahedron, or are you referring to its symmetries, or maybe something else?
We were studying the Icosahedral (or dodecahedral which ever you prefer) group or equivalently the rotational symmetries of the Icosahedron.

I should elaborate on my question with a little more specifics using an example. In one step he claimed all elements of order 3 are conjugate and to prove it he noted that the stabilizers ##\{1,\rho, \rho^{-1}\}## of two opposite vertices are the same. Realizing this it seemed immediate to him that all the elements or order 3 were conjugate. I on the other hand didn't see how he made that jump.

what is obvious is that all stabilizer groups of all vertices are conjugate, since they are all in the same orbit. And it seems visible that conjugating a counterclockwise rotation about one vertex by a rotation to the opposite vertex, gives you the counterclockwise ratation about that opposite vertex. This however, by your observation, equals the clockwise rotation about the original vertex, so R is also conjugate to R^-1. Since all the order three subgroups are conjugate, and the two elements of order three in each one are conjugate to each other, all elements of order three are conjugate. how's that?

It's clear now. Thanks!

1. What is modern algebra?

Modern algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, using abstract concepts and methods. It is a more advanced and abstract form of algebra compared to traditional algebra.

2. What are stabilizers in modern algebra?

In modern algebra, stabilizers refer to subgroups of a group that fix a given element or set of elements. This means that the elements in the stabilizer subgroup remain unchanged when the given element or set of elements is acted upon by the group's operation.

3. What are conjugacy classes in modern algebra?

Conjugacy classes in modern algebra refer to sets of elements in a group that are equivalent to each other under a certain type of transformation known as conjugation. Two elements are said to be conjugate if they can be transformed into each other by a group element.

4. What is the significance of dodec in modern algebra?

Dodec is a term used in modern algebra to denote a specific type of group, namely the dodecahedral group. This group has 120 elements and has applications in geometry, crystallography, and chemistry.

5. How are stabilizers and conjugacy classes related in modern algebra?

In modern algebra, stabilizers and conjugacy classes are closely related. The conjugacy class of an element in a group is the set of all elements that are conjugate to that element. The stabilizer subgroup of an element is a subgroup of the group that contains all the elements that fix the given element under conjugation. In other words, the stabilizer subgroup is the subgroup of elements that are conjugate to the given element.