1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra - Group of Order 12 with Conjugacy Class of Order 4

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A group G of order 12 contains a conjugacy class C(x) of order 4. Prove that the center of G is trivial.

2. Relevant equations

|G| = |Z(x)| * |C(x)|

(Z(x) is the centralizer of an element x[itex]\in[/itex]G, the center of a group will be denoted as Z(G))

3. The attempt at a solution

Let G be a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class C(x) of order 4. Then, by the counting formula, |Z(x)|=3. Further, Z(x) is a cyclic subgroup of G of order 3 and since x[itex]\in[/itex]Z(x), the order of x is 3, as well.

Now, because Z(G)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]Z(x), we have that |Z(G)| = 1,2, or 3 (by Lagrange's Theorem). However, since |Z(x)|≠12, x[itex]\notin[/itex]Z(G) and hence, |Z(G)|=1 or 2.

Suppose that |Z(G)|=2, then Z(G) = Z(x) - {x}. However, since Z(x) is a subgroup, this implies that x[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]Z(x), as well. This means that if |Z(G)| = 2, then Z(G) = {1, x[itex]^{-1}[/itex]}. This is not possible since Z(G) is a subgroup we have that if x[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]Z(G) then x must also be an element of Z(G) as well. Further, in any group, the order of an element and its inverse must be the same. Hence, x[itex]^{-1}[/itex] is of order 3.

Therefore, the only other possibility is that |Z(G)|=1 which implies that a group G of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 must have a trivial center.

(I'm not sure if this is right, and I'm not sure where I'm being redundant... I know that this group is isomorphic to A4, since A4 is the only group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4. However, I didn't want to go the route of just showing the conjugacy classes of every possible group of order 12 and saying... Hey, A4 is the only one with a conjugacy class of order 4 and it has the trivial center!)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems pretty ok to me. Sure it would be a cop out to just say "I know it's A4". But you could simplify it a little. You know Z(G) is a subgroup of Z(x). Once you know x is not in Z(G) there no subgroup of Z(x) of order 2. Lagrange's theorem again.

4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    Oh duh.. That makes things a lot easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook