Abstract Algebra - Group of Order 12 with Conjugacy Class of Order 4

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 must have a trivial center. This can be shown by considering the possible orders of Z(G) and using Lagrange's theorem to eliminate the possibility of Z(G) having order 2. Therefore, the center of G is trivial.
Szichedelic

Homework Statement

A group G of order 12 contains a conjugacy class C(x) of order 4. Prove that the center of G is trivial.

Homework Equations

|G| = |Z(x)| * |C(x)|

(Z(x) is the centralizer of an element x[itex]\in[/itex]G, the center of a group will be denoted as Z(G))

The Attempt at a Solution

Let G be a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class C(x) of order 4. Then, by the counting formula, |Z(x)|=3. Further, Z(x) is a cyclic subgroup of G of order 3 and since x[itex]\in[/itex]Z(x), the order of x is 3, as well.

Now, because Z(G)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]Z(x), we have that |Z(G)| = 1,2, or 3 (by Lagrange's Theorem). However, since |Z(x)|≠12, x[itex]\notin[/itex]Z(G) and hence, |Z(G)|=1 or 2.

Suppose that |Z(G)|=2, then Z(G) = Z(x) - {x}. However, since Z(x) is a subgroup, this implies that x[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]Z(x), as well. This means that if |Z(G)| = 2, then Z(G) = {1, x[itex]^{-1}[/itex]}. This is not possible since Z(G) is a subgroup we have that if x[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]Z(G) then x must also be an element of Z(G) as well. Further, in any group, the order of an element and its inverse must be the same. Hence, x[itex]^{-1}[/itex] is of order 3.

Therefore, the only other possibility is that |Z(G)|=1 which implies that a group G of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 must have a trivial center.

(I'm not sure if this is right, and I'm not sure where I'm being redundant... I know that this group is isomorphic to A4, since A4 is the only group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4. However, I didn't want to go the route of just showing the conjugacy classes of every possible group of order 12 and saying... Hey, A4 is the only one with a conjugacy class of order 4 and it has the trivial center!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Szichedelic said:

Homework Statement

A group G of order 12 contains a conjugacy class C(x) of order 4. Prove that the center of G is trivial.

Homework Equations

|G| = |Z(x)| * |C(x)|

(Z(x) is the centralizer of an element x[itex]\in[/itex]G, the center of a group will be denoted as Z(G))

The Attempt at a Solution

Let G be a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class C(x) of order 4. Then, by the counting formula, |Z(x)|=3. Further, Z(x) is a cyclic subgroup of G of order 3 and since x[itex]\in[/itex]Z(x), the order of x is 3, as well.

Now, because Z(G)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]Z(x), we have that |Z(G)| = 1,2, or 3 (by Lagrange's Theorem). However, since |Z(x)|≠12, x[itex]\notin[/itex]Z(G) and hence, |Z(G)|=1 or 2.

Suppose that |Z(G)|=2, then Z(G) = Z(x) - {x}. However, since Z(x) is a subgroup, this implies that x[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]Z(x), as well. This means that if |Z(G)| = 2, then Z(G) = {1, x[itex]^{-1}[/itex]}. This is not possible since Z(G) is a subgroup we have that if x[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]Z(G) then x must also be an element of Z(G) as well. Further, in any group, the order of an element and its inverse must be the same. Hence, x[itex]^{-1}[/itex] is of order 3.

Therefore, the only other possibility is that |Z(G)|=1 which implies that a group G of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 must have a trivial center.

(I'm not sure if this is right, and I'm not sure where I'm being redundant... I know that this group is isomorphic to A4, since A4 is the only group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4. However, I didn't want to go the route of just showing the conjugacy classes of every possible group of order 12 and saying... Hey, A4 is the only one with a conjugacy class of order 4 and it has the trivial center!)

Seems pretty ok to me. Sure it would be a cop out to just say "I know it's A4". But you could simplify it a little. You know Z(G) is a subgroup of Z(x). Once you know x is not in Z(G) there no subgroup of Z(x) of order 2. Lagrange's theorem again.

Oh duh.. That makes things a lot easier.

1. What is the definition of a "group" in abstract algebra?

A group in abstract algebra is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce another element in the set. The operation must satisfy four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

2. How many elements are in a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4?

A group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 has 12 elements. This is because the order of a group is equal to the product of the order of its conjugacy classes, and in this case, we have a conjugacy class of order 4, which means there are three other conjugacy classes of order 1, 2, and 3, respectively.

3. What is the significance of a conjugacy class in a group?

A conjugacy class in a group is a set of elements that are considered "similar" to each other in terms of their algebraic properties. Specifically, two elements in a group are conjugate if they have the same cycle structure in their associated permutation representation. Conjugacy classes help us understand the structure and behavior of a group.

4. Is it possible for a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 to be abelian?

No, it is not possible for a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 to be abelian. This is because the number of conjugacy classes of a group is equal to the number of distinct prime factors in its order. In this case, the order of the group is 12, which has two distinct prime factors (2 and 3). Therefore, the group must have at least two conjugacy classes, and one of them must have order 4, which means the group cannot be abelian.

5. Can a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 have subgroups?

Yes, a group of order 12 with a conjugacy class of order 4 can have subgroups. In fact, all groups have at least two subgroups - the trivial subgroup containing only the identity element, and the group itself. The subgroups of a group with a conjugacy class of order 4 may have orders that are divisors of 12, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, or 6.