[Algebra] Conjugacy classes of Finite Groups

In summary, the question asks for all finite groups with at most three conjugacy classes. So far, we know that cyclic groups of order 1, 2, and 3 satisfy this criterion. We can also use Lagrange's Theorem and the counting formula to show that the orders of the conjugacy classes divide the order of the group. The identity element always forms its own conjugacy class. If there are two conjugacy classes, the order of the nontrivial class must be 1 and if there are three, the orders of the two nontrivial classes must be 1 and 2. For the latter case, we can use the orbit-stabilizer theorem and casework to determine the possible groups. It
daveed
So, the question is:

Determine all finite groups that have at most three conjugacy classes
I'm a little confused by how to start. Right now, we can say for sure that cyclic groups of order 1, 2, and 3 satisfy this criterion.

Also, with Lagrange's Theorem and the counting formula(I'm using this from Artin's book, which states that the product of the order of a conjugacy class with the order of its stabilizer is equal to the order of the group) , we know that the orders of the conjugacy classes divide the order of the group.

Also, the identity commutes with every element in the group, and so would be in its own conjugacy class.

This means that if we have only one conjugacy class, it would be the group of only the identity.

If we have two conjugacy classes, we let x be the order of the nontrivial conjugacy class. But then, [tex] x+1=|G|[/tex], and, if [tex]x[/tex] divides [tex]|G|[/tex], then [tex]x=1[/tex].

If we have three, then we let the two nontrivial conjugacy classes have order [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex]. Then,
[tex]|G|=1+x+y[/tex]. But, if [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] divide [tex]|G|[/tex], then [tex]x[/tex] divides [tex]y+1[/tex], and [tex]y[/tex] divides [tex]x+1[/tex].

If [tex]x=y[/tex], then [tex]x=y[/tex], and this is a cyclic group of order 3.

If not, then let's assume that [tex]x>y[/tex]. Then, [tex]y+1=x[/tex]. This is only true if [tex]y=1[/tex] or [tex]y=2[/tex].
So the class equation in this case would be [tex]3=1+1+1[/tex] or [tex]4=1+1+2[/tex].

However, I'm not sure, here, how to describe all finite groups with the latter class equation. I know that all groups of order [tex]n[/tex] are isomorphic to a subgroup of [tex]S_n[/tex]. Should I just do casework from there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's just think about the case of 2 conjugacy classes.

One must be that of the identity. Let the other one have A elements. Then what can we say about things? A must divide the order of the group. What is the order of the group?There, that's sorted the first one out, as I think you did. Incidentally, it would help to say what you're about to do, what you're doing, and what you just did when writing a proof so people can read it easily.

Now, what about the 3 classes. I can't believe anything more than hard work and the orbit-stabilizer theorem is required. So just play around with them.

Last edited:
Also, is it just me or is the TeX not rendering properly?

For example, I'm seeing the sentence "Then, x." but when I clicked to see the TeX for this, I saw it was supposed to be "Then, |G|=1+x+y." Regardless, I don't see any reason why things like "|G|=1+x+y" or "x>y" should be written in TeX when normal text would more than suffice.

Yeah, I see what you mean. That's quite confusing.

As far as writting things script unecessarily, I guess it's just for consistency. I know that when actually writting a LaTeX document, you're supposed to put everything mathematical (even if it's just a mention of the variable x) in math font. So this could be a habit carried over from there.

The reason it might not render correctly is because the OP used tex tags and not itex tags for inline mathematics. This may create some formatting issues. Even with itex it sometimes renders badly in my browser. Hitting reload cures this.

1. What are conjugacy classes in finite groups?

Conjugacy classes are subsets of elements in a finite group that are related to each other through a specific algebraic operation, known as conjugation. This operation involves multiplying an element by a fixed element and its inverse, and the resulting element belongs to the same conjugacy class as the original element.

2. How are conjugacy classes determined in finite groups?

The conjugacy classes of a finite group are determined by the group's structure and composition. Each element in the group belongs to a unique conjugacy class, and the number of conjugacy classes is equal to the number of distinct irreducible representations of the group. To determine the conjugacy classes, one must first identify the group's generators and then use them to calculate the class equations.

3. What is the significance of conjugacy classes in finite groups?

Conjugacy classes play a crucial role in understanding the structure and properties of finite groups. They provide a way to classify elements and identify commonalities between them. They are also used in character theory, which helps in studying the representations of finite groups.

4. Can two different finite groups have the same conjugacy classes?

No, two different finite groups cannot have the same conjugacy classes. The conjugacy classes are unique to each group and are determined by the group's structure and composition. Even if two groups have the same number of elements, they can still have different conjugacy classes.

5. How are conjugacy classes related to normal subgroups in finite groups?

Conjugacy classes and normal subgroups are closely related in finite groups. A subgroup is considered normal if and only if it is a union of conjugacy classes. This means that normal subgroups are made up of elements that are all related to each other through conjugation. Additionally, the number of normal subgroups in a finite group is equal to the number of conjugacy classes.