1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Physics Laboratory establishment help

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    Hi all
    First of all, I don't know whether this is the right sub-forum to post at, so forgive me if it is not.

I have recently been asked to establish a modern physics lab for university students at sophomore level, so what experiments do you suggest to found the lab.

I've included the following experiments:
    -measuring the Blank's Constant
    -measuring e/m ratio for electron

so what else do you suggest to include

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Photoelectric effect.
    Millikan oil drop experiment.
    Electron diffraction.
    Hydrogen spectrum and Rydberg's constant, using a good-quality prism or grating spectrometer.

Perhaps a few simple experiments with a Michelson interferometer, although you won't be able to do the Michelson-Morley experiment with one that can fit on a student lab table; this is probably better as part of an optics course if you have one.

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Sep 27, 2011 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's hard to offer advice without any information- for example, how many students are projected to be enrolled? What sort of infrastructure/lab equipment do you already have, and what is your budget for new equipment and supplies? What is the balance between computational and experimental lab work?

etc. etc.

6. Sep 27, 2011 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

I'm curious whether undergraduate labs are able to routinely get the right value from their Millikan experiments?

7. Sep 27, 2011 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When I was in modern lab, I also did an experiment on x-ray diffraction, and measuring crystal lattice constants along with an experiment on measuring the decay rate of some radiation sources.

8. Oct 7, 2011 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook