Modified Atwood Machine Problem

In summary: Essentially, since the 20 kg mass is not accelerating in the x-direction, the force of kinetic friction does not factor into the tension calculation for the string connecting the two masses. In summary, the conversation is about a modified Atwood machine with a 20 kg mass on a tabletop and a 5 kg mass hanging off the edge, connected by a massless string and a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tabletop and the 20 kg mass is 0.10. The net force on the system is calculated to be 30 N, resulting in an acceleration of 1.2 m/s/s. The tension in the string connecting the masses is calculated to be 44 N, with the friction force not fact
plazprestige

Homework Statement

Consider a modified Atwood machine, where one mass of 20 kg lies on a flat tabletop, and another mass of 5 kg hangs off the edge of the table, where the two masses are connected to each other by a massless string and a frictionless pulley on the edge of the table. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tabletop and the 20 kg mass is .100. Find a) the acceleration of the system, and b) the tension in the string connecting the masses.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
f = (.1)N, where f is the force of kinetic friction and N is the normal force
g = -10 m/s/s (for easy calculations)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The acceleration of the object (or system) is the net force divided by the total mass of the system. The calculation for net force I executed: (5 kg)*(10 m/s/s) - (.1)(200 N) = 50 - 20 = 30 N. 30 N/ 25 kg = 1.2 m/s/s = a.

b) I'm more unsure about this part. The net force on the 5 kg block is (5 kg)*(10 m/s/s) - T = (5 kg) * a. a must be the same for both masses, so 5 kg * 1.2 m/s/s = 6 N. 6 = 50 - T. - T = -44. T = 44 N.

The part I'm unsure about is whether the fact that the tabletop and the 20 kg block having friction associated with them should factor into the calculation of the tension.

I'd like to know if my two answers are correct. If they are, why is it that part b doesn't have the friction force factored in. If something is wrong, please explain the correct answer.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
After some fiddling, I figured out why my answers are correct.

1. What is a Modified Atwood Machine Problem?

A Modified Atwood Machine Problem is a physics problem that involves two masses connected by a string, where one mass is suspended over a pulley and the other is free to move along an inclined plane. This setup allows for the study of the relationship between the masses, the angle of the incline, and the acceleration of the system.

2. How is a Modified Atwood Machine Problem different from a traditional Atwood Machine?

A traditional Atwood Machine has a fixed pulley and two masses connected by a string, where one mass is heavier than the other. In a Modified Atwood Machine, the pulley is not fixed and the incline of the plane adds another variable to the system. This makes the problem more complex and allows for a wider range of applications.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a Modified Atwood Machine?

The acceleration of a Modified Atwood Machine is affected by the difference in mass between the two masses, the angle of the incline, and the coefficient of friction between the moving mass and the inclined plane. Air resistance may also play a role in some cases.

4. How is the acceleration calculated in a Modified Atwood Machine Problem?

The acceleration can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In a Modified Atwood Machine, the net force is equal to the difference in tension between the two sides of the string, and this can be related to the masses and angle of incline using trigonometric functions.

5. What real-life applications can be modeled using a Modified Atwood Machine?

A Modified Atwood Machine can be used to model a variety of real-life situations, such as elevators, ski lifts, and even roller coasters. It can also be used to study the effects of friction and air resistance in different scenarios. Additionally, it is commonly used in physics education as a way to demonstrate and understand Newton's laws of motion.