1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modular Forms, Dimension, Valence Formula

1. Apr 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the dimension of ##M_{24}##?

2. Relevant equations

attached modweightdim.png
    3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused what the (mod 12) is referring to- is it referring to the ##[k/12]## where the square brackets denote an equivalent class and the ## k \equiv 2## / ##k \notequiv 2## or just the ##[k/12]##?

I am confused because I thought ##k \equiv 2## (mod 12) only when ##k=24##, so for the dimension ##M_2## we would need to look at the top definition, however clearly the bottom has been used, which makes me think that the '(mod ##12##)' is only referring to the square brackets?

In which case for ##M_{24}## I need to look at the top line and conclude ## dim M_{24}=3##, however if (mod 12) is referring to both then I need to look at the bottom line and conclude ##dim M_{24}=2##, however in this case it makes no sense how we have got ##dim M_2=0 ##

Thanks .

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##24 \equiv 0 \operatorname{mod}12##
    ##2 \equiv 2 \operatorname{mod}12##

4. Apr 20, 2017 #3
    So
    ##4 \equiv 4 \operatorname{mod}12##

So from the definition above ##dim M_{4} =[k/12]=[4/12]##;

how is ##[4/12]## 1? Isn't this zero too? what do the square brackets denote.

E.g ##14\equiv 2## (mod 12) so am I using the original ##k## : ##[14/12]## or ##[2/12]##?

5. Apr 20, 2017 #4
    Oh it doesn't matter, [ ] denote equivalent classes, so it's 'the remainder of the division' which is ##2## in both of these cases?

Can I just test my understanding here- is ##dim M_{28}=[k/12]+1=5##?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. Apr 20, 2017 #5
    No I'm lost ##dim M_{12}=2## but I am getting:

##12 \equiv 0## mod 12, so I'm looking at ##[k/12]+1##, if these [ ] denote equivalent classes a number divisible by 12 is represented by the element ##0## so I get ##0+1=1##...

Unless these [ ] square brackets denote taking the integer or something? what do these square brackets mean? thanks.

7. Apr 20, 2017 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The brackets are the floor function. The greatest integer less than or equal to the quotient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted