Moldy food should I throw away my bag?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary: Just soak it in some powdered detergent and hang to dry.In summary, the orange in the bag was probably there for over three weeks and did not decompose. The bag is probably water-proof and can be put in the washer and dryer without issue. Some of the fabric may fade, but the bag itself should be fine.
flyingpig
Basically i left an orange in my bag for over 3 weeks and I did not know. I just searched my bag and I grabbed somehting mushy and it collapsed. I took out my hand my hand recks of modly citrus...

Thankfully my books were hardcovered, so I could just dry it off. But what about my bag? I think my bag is water-proof. Is it okay to put in laundry? Should I even take it home? I accidentally took a breathe...

Physics news on Phys.org
I should also mention some of the peel is stuck inside the bag...

flyingpig said:
Basically i left an orange in my bag for over 3 weeks and I did not know. I just searched my bag and I grabbed somehting mushy and it collapsed. I took out my hand my hand recks of modly citrus...

Thankfully my books were hardcovered, so I could just dry it off. But what about my bag? I think my bag is water-proof. Is it okay to put in laundry? Should I even take it home? I accidentally took a breathe...

I detect a correlation:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=535017

Bttw, I am getting paper towerls (dry and wet) and scratching my books hard atm lol

There's probably large colonies of e.coli forming by now. Call hazmat.

what is the bag made of?

Proton Soup said:
what is the bag made of?

I don't know the fabric name...

flyingpig said:
I don't know the fabric name...

usually things have tags on them that often tell you how to launder. but if it were me, and it's something like a backpack bookbag, probably disinfect it in a bucket with lysol, then wash by hand in the shower with shampoo or something and hang to dry.

but, you know, just rotten fruit. so lots of fungi, etc. i don't think plant matter tends to be a huge deal when decaying, it's the decaying flesh that sets up the real health hazzards. i wouldn't panic over it.

Proton Soup said:
usually things have tags on them that often tell you how to launder. but if it were me, and it's something like a backpack bookbag, probably disinfect it in a bucket with lysol, then wash by hand in the shower with shampoo or something and hang to dry.

I only have cleaning detergent (for dishes), can that be a substitute?

flyingpig said:
I only have cleaning detergent (for dishes), can that be a substitute?

it should be.

Might want to store your books in the car...

Many of the gear bags I've used over the years were nylon, and got absolutely filthy from working at sea. They're tough, though, and have absolutely no problem with hot water, soap, and a little bleach - 1/4 cup for a full load. Some of the emblems might fade, but the bags themselves should be fine.

No lysol required.

LOl okay I just asked my mom and she said

"don't put in the laundry, once you do, it won't function as a bag anymore. Just get some laundary powder and soak it in the sink or when you are taking a shower for a while. But don't take too much powder. If the peel is still stuck, use a towel to rub it out"

an old toothbrush makes a handy scrubber, too

Proton Soup said:
an old toothbrush makes a handy scrubber, too

I thought that's only for hard surfaces?

Did you call Hazmat yet?

If it's a man-made fiber, all you need to do is get the gunk off the surface. You probably don't need anything more than warm water and patience. Warm water with a SMALL amount of washing up liquid in it isn't likely to damage anything.

If it is a natural fiber like cotton, hessian, etc, you have a bigger problem, because the bugs will almost certainly be living in the material itself. Unless you can boil it without damaging it, it's probably time to buy a replacement.

Do use some disinfectant. Lysol or clorox wipes or something. On/in your bag AND on you books. icky..

Warm or hot water, vinegar and boric acid would be effective as a disinfectant.

Woah... flyingpig got banned for ruining a bag? Holy Smokes... I ruin bags all the time.
Astronuc said:
Warm or hot water, vinegar and boric acid would be effective as a disinfectant.

Also makes a wonderful holiday cocktail!

You pay extra (and a hell of a lot more) for moldy cheeses and steaks.

gravenewworld said:
You pay extra (and a hell of a lot more) for moldy cheeses and steaks.

Moldy steaks? I think I'll pass. Come to think of it, I'm not so hot with (overly) moldy cheese either.

Bag to the bag, it's your Mom's washing machine, so respect her wishes. My qualified opinion from having laundered far worse is that some mold from an orange isn't going to hurt her washing machine in the least, particularly with suds and bleach.

By the way - who said "use a disinfectant?" That's what the bleach is for!

When I lived in Florida, I'd occasionally have to run a load of suds, bleach, and little else through my washing machine just to get rid of the mold/mildew that tended to grow in that damp environment. Otherwise, one's clothes began picking up "the scent," no matter how many times they were washed.

DoggerDan said:
Moldy steaks? I think I'll pass. Come to think of it, I'm not so hot with (overly) moldy cheese either.

Mouldy steaks (and note that I spell it correctly) are a time and money saver. They provide the taste of fried 'shrooms without you having to actually buy and prepare such.

DoggerDan said:

Never yet had the pleasure of a mouldy steak but I just finished knocking back a plate of cheese & crackers with some awesomely stinky, fuzzy blue Gorgonzola.

DaveC426913 said:
stinky, fuzzy blue Gorgonzola.

:confused: Are you sure about that? I saw the movie, and I'm pretty sure that he was scaly and green.

DaveC426913 said:
Never yet had the pleasure of a mouldy steak but I just finished knocking back a plate of cheese & crackers with some awesomely stinky, fuzzy blue Gorgonzola.

Might I offer you half a gallon of seawater as expectorant and nasal wash?

DaveC426913 said:
fuzzy blue Gorgonzola.

Oh, Jeez, Dave... I just realized what happened. This is so embarrassing. I should have caught on right away. That wasn't the original Gorgonzola at all; it was the Smurf remake.

1. Should I throw away all food from a moldy bag?

It depends on the type of food and the extent of the mold. If the mold is only on the surface of hard foods like hard cheeses or firm fruits and vegetables, you can cut off the moldy part and still eat the rest. However, if the mold is present in soft foods like bread or deli meats, it's best to discard the entire bag.

2. Is it safe to just scrape off the mold and eat the food?

No, it's not safe to just scrape off the mold and eat the food. Mold has roots that can burrow deep into the food, so even if you can't see it, there may still be harmful mold present. It's best to discard the entire bag to avoid any potential health risks.

3. Can I still eat food from a bag with a small amount of mold?

It's generally not recommended to eat food from a bag with any amount of mold. Mold can produce toxins that can cause food poisoning and other health issues. It's better to err on the side of caution and throw away the food.

4. What should I do if I accidentally ate food from a moldy bag?

If you accidentally ate food from a moldy bag, keep an eye out for any symptoms of food poisoning such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach cramps. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

5. Can I prevent mold from growing on my food?

To prevent mold from growing on your food, make sure to properly store it in airtight containers and refrigerate perishable items. Keep your kitchen and food storage areas clean and dry, and regularly check for any expired or moldy food that needs to be discarded. Also, avoid buying more food than you can consume before it goes bad.