Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moldy food should I throw away my bag?

  1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    Basically i left an orange in my bag for over 3 weeks and I did not know. I just searched my bag and I grabbed somehting mushy and it collapsed. I took out my hand my hand recks of modly citrus...

    Thankfully my books were hardcovered, so I could just dry it off. But what about my bag? I think my bag is water-proof. Is it okay to put in laundry? Should I even take it home? I accidentally took a breathe...
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
    I should also mention some of the peel is stuck inside the bag...
     
  4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    I detect a correlation:

    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=535017
     
  5. Oct 5, 2011 #4
  6. Oct 5, 2011 #5
    Bttw, I am getting paper towerls (dry and wet) and scratching my books hard atm lol
     
  7. Oct 5, 2011 #6

    Pengwuino

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    There's probably large colonies of e.coli forming by now. Call hazmat.
     
  8. Oct 5, 2011 #7
    what is the bag made of?
     
  9. Oct 5, 2011 #8
    I don't know the fabric name...
     
  10. Oct 5, 2011 #9
    usually things have tags on them that often tell you how to launder. but if it were me, and it's something like a backpack bookbag, probably disinfect it in a bucket with lysol, then wash by hand in the shower with shampoo or something and hang to dry.

    but, you know, just rotten fruit. so lots of fungi, etc. i don't think plant matter tends to be a huge deal when decaying, it's the decaying flesh that sets up the real health hazzards. i wouldn't panic over it.
     
  11. Oct 5, 2011 #10
    I only have cleaning detergent (for dishes), can that be a substitute?
     
  12. Oct 5, 2011 #11
    it should be.
     
  13. Oct 5, 2011 #12
    Might want to store your books in the car...

    Many of the gear bags I've used over the years were nylon, and got absolutely filthy from working at sea. They're tough, though, and have absolutely no problem with hot water, soap, and a little bleach - 1/4 cup for a full load. Some of the emblems might fade, but the bags themselves should be fine.

    No lysol required.
     
  14. Oct 5, 2011 #13
    LOl okay I just asked my mom and she said

    "don't put in the laundry, once you do, it won't function as a bag anymore. Just get some laundary powder and soak it in the sink or when you are taking a shower for a while. But don't take too much powder. If the peel is still stuck, use a towel to rub it out"
     
  15. Oct 5, 2011 #14
    an old toothbrush makes a handy scrubber, too
     
  16. Oct 5, 2011 #15
    I thought that's only for hard surfaces?
     
  17. Oct 5, 2011 #16

    Pengwuino

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Did you call Hazmat yet?
     
  18. Oct 6, 2011 #17

    AlephZero

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    If it's a man-made fiber, all you need to do is get the gunk off the surface. You probably don't need anything more than warm water and patience. Warm water with a SMALL amount of washing up liquid in it isn't likely to damage anything.

    If it is a natural fiber like cotton, hessian, etc, you have a bigger problem, because the bugs will almost certainly be living in the material itself. Unless you can boil it without damaging it, it's probably time to buy a replacement.
     
  19. Oct 6, 2011 #18
    Do use some disinfectant. Lysol or clorox wipes or something. On/in your bag AND on you books. icky..
     
  20. Oct 6, 2011 #19

    Astronuc

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Warm or hot water, vinegar and boric acid would be effective as a disinfectant.
     
  21. Oct 7, 2011 #20

    FlexGunship

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Woah... flyingpig got banned for ruining a bag? Holy Smokes... I ruin bags all the time.


    Also makes a wonderful holiday cocktail!
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Moldy food should I throw away my bag?
Loading...