Moles of solute particles are present in 5.07 mL of 0.688 M

In summary, there are 3.49E-3 moles of solute particles in 5.07 mL of 0.688 M Na3PO4. This is equal to 1.40E-2 moles of osmolarity.
Neophyte

Homework Statement

How many moles of solute particles are present in 5.07 mL of 0.688 M Na3PO4? Use scientific notation with 3 significant figures!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0.00507 L of soln
0.688 M
M= mol solute / L of soln
0.688 = x / 0.00507
.688 * 0.00507
x = 3.49E-3

What went wrong :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org

Moles of solute particles should be osmolarity: the molarity of aall particles which would be the molarities of the two ions.

Bohrok said:
Moles of solute particles should be osmolarity: the molarity of aall particles which would be the molarities of the two ions.

So it is
3.49E-3 * 4 = 1.40E-2 ?
Thank you for your help.

Do you have the answer to the problem?

Bohrok said:
Do you have the answer to the problem?

No, it was simply marked incorrect so I am unsure of the actual answer.

I just looked up osmolarity after you mentioned it. My book unfortunately neglected it :(. This is the first encounter with it so I was not sure if the method of obtaining it was correct. "the osmolarity of a simple solution is equal to the molarity times the number of particles per molecule"

I had the molarity = 3.49E-3
(Na3 = 3 PO4 = 1) = 4
3.49E-3 * 4

If it said "How many moles of solute are present" would it have been just finding the molarity?

Yes, "moles of solute" would be molarity, but moles of solute particles would mean osmolarity.

You may treat it as a nitpicking (and I won't comment) but this is not the correct result :wink:

I mean - on some level it works, but phosphate is a strong base, it reacts with water and Na+ to some extent reacts with OH-. Thus the real result is slightly different - total concentration of dissolved entities (be it ions or neutral molecules) is about 2.804M, and number of moles is 14.2*10-3 (not 14.0*10-3).

Even that is only an approximation, but better than the initial one :smile:

--

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 689

What does the term "moles of solute particles" mean?

The term "moles of solute particles" refers to the unit of measurement used to quantify the number of particles present in a solution. This unit is commonly used in chemistry to express the amount of a substance in a given volume of solution.

How is the number of moles of solute particles calculated?

The number of moles of solute particles can be calculated by multiplying the molarity (M) of the solution by the volume (in liters) of the solution. This can be represented by the equation: moles = molarity (M) x volume (L).

What is the significance of the given molarity and volume in the question?

The molarity and volume provided in the question are important because they allow for the calculation of the number of moles of solute particles present in the given solution. This information is essential for understanding the concentration and composition of the solution.

How does the molarity affect the number of moles of solute particles present?

The molarity directly affects the number of moles of solute particles present in a solution. The higher the molarity, the greater the concentration of particles in the solution, resulting in a larger number of moles of solute particles.

What is the relationship between molarity and the concentration of a solution?

Molarity and concentration are directly related. The molarity of a solution is a measure of the concentration, or the amount of solute dissolved in a given volume of solvent. As the molarity increases, so does the concentration of the solution.