Molniya Orbit: calc angular displacement of ascending node

In summary, The conversation discusses calculating the angular displacement of the ascending node in a molniya orbit after 100 sidereal days. A formula is provided and used to find the result, with the logic being more important than the numbers. The minus sign in front of the result gives the direction of rotation.
Paul Gray
Hello there :),

Homework Statement

We have a molniya orbit with an eccentricity of [itex]e = 0.72[/itex] and a semi-major axis [itex]a = 26554 [km][/itex].

The task:
Calculate the angular displacement of the ascending node Ω after 100 sidereal days

Homework Equations

Moreover I know from Wikipedia that a molniya orbit has an inclination of [itex]i = 63.4 [deg][/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered using following formula
[tex]\Delta\Omega = - \frac{3\pi J_2 R_E^2}{a^2 (1-e^2)^2} * cos i [/tex]
But I am pretty sure it is the wrong formula, because time doesn't matter in it. (Even it has an Ω at the beginning ;)).

Hence I hope on insightful input provided by you :). Thank you for your help!

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
That formula gives you ## \Delta \Omega ## per some period of time. What is that period of time?

Likes 1 person
That's a simple but clever answer. I will give it a shot as soon as possible :). Thank you ...

Using the hint voko provided I get the following answer

[tex]\Delta\Omega = - \frac{3\pi J_2 R_E^2}{a^2 (1-e^2)^2} \cdot \cos i
= \frac{3\pi 1082.7 \cdot 10^{-6} 6378^2}{26544^2 (1-0.72^2)^2} \cdot \cos 63.4
= -2.139 \cdot 10^{-3} [\frac{rad}{rev}][/tex]

One revolution takes
[tex]1 [rev] = T = 2\pi \frac{a^3}{\mu_{Earth}}^{1/2}= 11.962h[/tex]

Hence the angular displacement of the ascending node after 100 sederial days (1day = 23.934h) is:
[tex]2.139 \cdot 10^{-3}\frac{23.934}{11.962}\cdot 100= 0.42798 [rad] = 24.5214[deg][/tex]

Is this a plausible result?

PS: I don't know what to do with the minus in front of [itex]-2.139 \cdot 10^{-3}[/itex] :)?

Thanks for your help!

I did not check the numbers, but the logic is sound.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much voko. The numbers are not as important as the logic is :).

The minus in front of [itex]-2.139*10^{-3}[/itex] still bugs me. How can I get rid of it? Can I neglect it?

Last edited:
The minus gives you the direction of rotation.

Thank you, I got it :).

What is a Molniya orbit?

A Molniya orbit is a type of highly elliptical orbit that is used by satellites to achieve a high inclination angle relative to the equator. It was originally developed by the Soviet Union for their communications and reconnaissance satellites.

How do you calculate the angular displacement of the ascending node in a Molniya orbit?

The angular displacement of the ascending node in a Molniya orbit can be calculated using the following formula: ΔΩ = arccos[(-e cos(i)) / (1-e^2)], where e is the eccentricity of the orbit and i is the inclination angle. This formula gives the angle between the ascending node and the point of closest approach to Earth.

What is the purpose of calculating the angular displacement of the ascending node in a Molniya orbit?

Calculating the angular displacement of the ascending node allows scientists and engineers to determine the orientation of the satellite's orbit relative to the Earth's equatorial plane. This information is important for tracking and controlling the satellite's movements and ensuring proper communication with the ground station.

What are the advantages of using a Molniya orbit?

One of the main advantages of a Molniya orbit is its high inclination angle, which allows satellites to have extended coverage of high latitudes. This is particularly useful for communication and observation purposes in the polar regions. Additionally, the highly elliptical shape of the orbit allows the satellite to spend more time over a specific area, providing more detailed data and longer communication windows.

Are there any drawbacks to using a Molniya orbit?

While Molniya orbits have many advantages, there are also some drawbacks. The highly elliptical shape of the orbit means that the satellite's speed varies greatly throughout its orbit, which can make it difficult to maintain a stable position. Additionally, the high inclination angle can make it more challenging to communicate with the satellite from ground stations located near the equator.