Angular acceleration and displacement problem

In summary, the problem involves a compact disc that starts from rest and speeds up uniformly to 5200rpm in 620rad. The diameter of the disc is 5.0cm. The angular acceleration in rad/s^2, the time it takes to reach this speed, the total angular displacement in degrees, the number of revolutions the disc makes in this time, and the centripetal acceleration at maximum speed are all unknown. To solve the problem, the equations θ = (1/2)αt^2 and ωf^2 = ωi^2 + 2αθ can be used. The given values for ωf, ωi, and θ are correct and can be used
Lotus93
I've listed the whole problem because I know I'll have more questions, but all I want to know atm is whether I'm plugging the right values into the equation. Thanks in advance for your help.

Homework Statement

A compact disc speeds up uniformly from rest to 5200rpm in 620rad. The disc’s diameter is 5.0cm.

a. What is the angular acceleration in rad/s^2?
b. How long does it take to reach this speed?
c. What is the total angular displacement in degrees?
d. How many revolutions does the disc make in this time?
e. What is its centripetal acceleration at maximum speed?

Homework Equations

θ = (1/2)αt2
ωf2 = ωi2 + 2αθ

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, first I would convert angular velocity to rad/sec
So 5200 rot/min = (5200*2pi) rad/(60 sec) = 544 rad/sec
Since I don't know time yet, I would use the second equation above.

The first thing I want to ask is if my values for ωf, ωi, and θ are correct.
ωf, = 544
ωi = 0
θ = 620 radians

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. As a matter of technique, I always keep things in algebraic variable form (i.e. using the labels for the quantities) until I have the final equation, and only then plug in the constants. This makes it easier to find algebraic errors, easier for others to follow, and avoids propagation of rounding errors.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is represented by the symbol α and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation α = rα, where α is angular acceleration, r is the radius of rotation, and α is linear acceleration. This means that for a given angular acceleration, the linear acceleration will be greater for objects with a larger radius of rotation.

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating and is represented by the symbol ω. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s). Angular acceleration, on the other hand, measures the change in angular velocity over time. In other words, angular velocity is the rate at which an object is rotating, while angular acceleration is the rate at which the rotation is changing.

4. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation α = (ω2 - ω1) / t, where α is angular acceleration, ω2 is the final angular velocity, ω1 is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

5. How does angular displacement relate to angular acceleration?

Angular displacement is a measure of the change in an object's angular position, and it is represented by the symbol θ. Angular acceleration is related to angular displacement through the equation α = (ω2 - ω1) / t = (θ2 - θ1) / t^2, where α is angular acceleration, ω1 and ω2 are the initial and final angular velocities, and θ1 and θ2 are the initial and final angular displacements.