1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment Diagram of Cantilever Beam with Fixed End at Left hand side?

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    Just wanna ask if the moment diagram of Cantilever beam with fixed end at left is the same as with fixed end at right. What I mean is that they are just mirrored ? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2
    Yes, it's exactly the same. Imagine walking around the beam and looking at it from the other side. The loads, geometry, etc. are still exactly the same, just you have moved on the other side where the fixed end appears mirrored.

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3
    This hints at a lack of understanding to me.

Why do you believe it would be different?

5. Jul 7, 2012 #4
    I just suspect that the shear diagram is difference with the two cases. but the moment is the same..

6. Jul 8, 2012 #5
    The shear diagram would only be different because you'd be using some convention to plot it. It only looks mirrored about the beam longitudinal axis, but is in reality the same. The shear forces would be the same, just the way they are plotted depends on the convention.

7. Jul 8, 2012 #6
    Thanks bda23. That's the answer I'm waiting for my confirmation. Thanks for other's idea :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook