Moment of inertia and Kinetic Energy (Rotational Motion)

In summary, a skater with an initial angular speed of 8.3 rad/s decreases her moment of inertia by a factor of 8.9. This results in a 790% increase in her kinetic energy, assuming no friction on the skates. The correct equation for kinetic energy is KE = (1/2)Iw^2 and the percent change can be calculated by ((wf-wi)/wi)*100.
miamirulz29

Homework Statement

A skater spins with an angular speed of 8.3 rad/s with her arms outstretched. She lowers her arms, decreasing her moment of inertia by a factor of 8.9. Ignoring the friction on the skates, determine the percent of change in her kinetic energy. Answer in percent.

Homework Equations

KE = (1/2)Iw^2
Li = Lf

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
wi = omega initial

wf = omega final

If Li = Lf,

Iwi = (I/8.9)wf

8.9wi = wf

So KEi = (1/2)I(wi^2)

KEf = (1/2)(I/8.9)(wf^2)

So KEf = (1/2)(I/8.9)(8.9wi^2)

So I(wi^2)/2 = I(8.9wi^2)/17.8

Does that mean there is no change in kinetic energy? Also, if there is a change in kinetic energy how do I convert that to a percent?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I just realized I could simplify the last part to:

Code:
I(wi^2)       I(wi^2)
-------   =  -------
    2          4.45

So is the percent change 4.45 /2 = 2.225 = 222.5 %?

Anybody?

miamirulz29 said:

Homework Statement

A skater spins with an angular speed of 8.3 rad/s with her arms outstretched. She lowers her arms, decreasing her moment of inertia by a factor of 8.9. Ignoring the friction on the skates, determine the percent of change in her kinetic energy. Answer in percent.

Homework Equations

KE = (1/2)Iw^2
Li = Lf

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
wi = omega initial

wf = omega final

If Li = Lf,

Iwi = (I/8.9)wf

8.9wi = wf

So KEi = (1/2)I(wi^2)

KEf = (1/2)(I/8.9)(wf^2)

So KEf = (1/2)(I/8.9)(8.9wi^2)

So I(wi^2)/2 = I(8.9wi^2)/17.8

Does that mean there is no change in kinetic energy? Also, if there is a change in kinetic energy how do I convert that to a percent?

You forgot to square the factor of 8.9 that comes with omega_f.
It should be (8.9 omega_i)^2 , not 8.9 omega_i^2

I didn't correct it in my second post?

wait I am so lost in this problem, can somebody help me please?

Oh wait I just figured it out. If wf = 8.9wi, then (8.9wi - wi)/wi = 7.9 *100, 790%

1. What is moment of inertia and how is it calculated?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does moment of inertia affect rotational motion?

The greater the moment of inertia, the more force is needed to accelerate or decelerate an object's rotational motion. This means that objects with larger moments of inertia will be harder to start or stop rotating compared to objects with smaller moments of inertia.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and kinetic energy in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia and kinetic energy in rotational motion are directly related. As the moment of inertia increases, the kinetic energy also increases. This is because more energy is required to overcome the object's greater resistance to rotational motion.

4. How is kinetic energy in rotational motion calculated?

Kinetic energy in rotational motion is calculated by taking half of the object's moment of inertia and multiplying it by the square of its angular velocity. This is similar to how kinetic energy in linear motion is calculated by taking half of the mass and multiplying it by the square of the velocity.

5. Can you provide an example of how moment of inertia and kinetic energy are related in real life?

One example of how moment of inertia and kinetic energy are related in real life is when a figure skater performs a spin. As the skater pulls their arms and legs closer to their body, their moment of inertia decreases and their rotational speed increases, resulting in a higher kinetic energy. This allows them to spin faster and perform more complex moves on the ice.