1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia for connected, hinged panels

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a solar panel array of 3 panels connected to a spacecraft. The panels in the array are connected linearly (in a row: panel1 + panel2 + panel3 + spacecraft) with hinges. They are all 0.2 meters by 0.3 meters and connected along the 0.3 meter side using 2 hinges for each panel. I'm looking for the MOI so that I can calculate the angular momentum of all 3 panels when they are released from their folded position once the craft is in orbit. They are folded together on the hinged sides and all 3 are in a "pile" before being released.

2. Relevant equations
    I=1/3*M*a^2 'a' being the length of the shorter side in this case 0.2

3. The attempt at a solution

Innermost panel has to swing outward with the mass of the other 2 attached to it: I=1/3*(M*3)*a^2
    Middle panel has to swing outward with the mass of itself plus outer panel attached to it:
    I = 1/3*(M*2)*a^2
    outermost panel: I = 1/3*M*a^2

Since the panels are connected and moving simultaneously when released, I'm not sure this is the way to do this and I can't find any similar examples which makes me think I'm really missing something.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I doubt I will be able to help but I think sketch might help. Are the panel's "rolled" or "consterina" pattern?

4. Sep 18, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Answer you are looking for depends on how the motion of the panels is being controlled . You really need to know how the deployment mechanism works .

5. Sep 18, 2016 #4
    Concertina pattern.

6. Sep 18, 2016 #5
    The panels will be released all at once - a chord holding them "pinned down" in their folded position will break and the entire solar panel array comes free at once.

7. Sep 18, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted