Acceleration of the end of a hinged rod in a pulley system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 4K views
deusy
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


As shown in image.
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 10.25.02 PM.png


2. Homework Equations

Moment of inertia of pulley = [tex]1/2*M*R^2[/tex]
Moment of inertia of rod (about end) = [tex]1/3*M*L^2[/tex]
Acceleration of end of rod in theta direction = [tex]L*α[/tex]
Acceleration of end of rod in radial direction = [tex]L*ω^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Pretty sure this question requires solving a system of five simultaneous equations, but I cannot work out the final one.

Note:
T1 = tension of rope attached to A
T2 = tension of rope attached to B
M = mass
R = radius
α = angular acceleration
ω = angular velocity
Positive movement defined upwards

From free body diagram of block A:

[tex]T1- M(A)*g = M(A)*a(A)[/tex]

From taking the moment around the pulley:

[tex]T1*R(pulley)-T2*R(pulley)=I(pulley)*α(pulley)=1/2*M(pulley)*R(pulley)^2*α(pulley)[/tex]

From taking the moment around the rod:

[tex]T2*L-M(rod)*g*L/2=I(rod)*α(rod)=1/3*M(rod)*L^2*α(rod)[/tex]

From polar coordinates:

[tex]a(A) = -R(pulley)*α(pulley)[/tex]

One equation missing

Once I work out the last equation and solve for α(rod), I should be able to use Pythagoras to work out the magnitude of the acceleration from:

[tex]a=((α(rod)*L)^{2}+((L*ω^2)^{2}))^{1/2}[/tex]

Can anyone see what I'm missing and/or if I'm going wrong in any of the other equations? Been trying this question for hours and can't get my head around it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
deusy said:
Pretty sure this question requires solving a system of five simultaneous equations, but I cannot work out the final one.

I think there are only four variables so four equations should be enough .

deusy said:
From taking the moment around the rod:

[tex]T2*L-M(rod)*g*L/2=I(rod)*α(rod)=1/3*M(rod)*L^2*α(rod)[/tex]

I guess you have considered anticlockwise positive , in which case you have a sign issue .

Apart from that everything else looks fine :smile: . I hope I am not overlooking something.
 
Vibhor said:
I think there are only four variables so four equations should be enough.
There's five in my equations, unless one I can work out from something else?:
[tex]a(A), T1, T2, <br /> α(rod), α(pulley) ?[/tex]
Otherwise I think I still need a fifth equation.

Thanks for the sign tip, though!
 
deusy said:
There's five in my equations, unless one I can work out from something else?:
[tex]a(A), T1, T2,<br /> α(rod), α(pulley) ?[/tex]
Otherwise I think I still need a fifth equation.

OK .Fair enough .

The tangential acceleration of point B is related to the acceleration of the block .
 
Vibhor said:
The tangential acceleration of point B is related to the acceleration of the block .

Are you implying there's another equation I can get from this?
 
deusy said:
Are you implying there's another equation I can get from this?

Yes .

Replace the rod attached to point B with a mass M .

How would acceleration of block A and mass M be related ?
 
Last edited:
Vibhor said:
How would acceleration of block A and mass M be related ?

Would it be that:
[tex]a(A)=-a(B[tangential]) = -L*ω^{2}[/tex]

As the displacement of A is the negative displacement of B (if considering it B as mass), so [tex]a(A)=-a(B)[/tex] in the tangential direction? This allows me to calculate a(A) without solving simultaneously, which doesn't seem right to me.
 
Yes . The magnitude of tangential acceleration of B should be equal to that of A as they are connected by an inextensible string .

This should give you the answer .

What values are you getting for tangential and radial acceleration of B ?
 
Vibhor said:
Yes . The magnitude of tangential acceleration of B should be equal to that of A as they are connected by an inextensible string .

This should give you the answer .

What values are you getting for tangential and radial acceleration of B ?

I am getting:
[tex]a[radial]=7.677 m/s/s[/tex]
[tex]a[tangential] = 6.728 m/s/s[/tex]

(magnitudes only)

These are not giving me the correct answer for overall acceleration.
 
Last edited:
Vibhor said:
What is the given correct answer ?

I won't know it until I get it right unfortunately, this is a question from an online task.
 
I am getting 8.938 m/s2 as magnitude of tangential acceleration .
 
Vibhor said:
I am getting 8.938 m/s2 as magnitude of tangential acceleration .

I am just doing:
[tex]0.8*2.9^2=6.728[/tex]
 
deusy said:
I am just doing:
[tex]0.8*2.9^2=6.728[/tex]

This is radial acceleration .