1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia for Infinite Density (mass per area)

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you have the density of a disk given by σ=σ0*rn.
    For n approaches infinity, find the limit of M.I. Interpret your result, which should be physical, reasonable and intuitively clear.

2. Relevant equations

Now i found the moment of intertia of the object to be

I am having trouble with the limit though because if I try to do Lo'Hopitals Rule on R^(n+4)/(n+4) it doesnt help and I am not sure if I can use just I = MR^2(n+2)/(n+4) and treat M as a constant but I dont think that would be possible since M is a function of n itself. When i try to figure the limit i get undefined solutions and I am not sure what that means physically. Can someone help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi Hells_Kitchen,

It's true that the value of M depends on n; however the goal of a moment of inertia calculation is to get an expression in the form

I = (number) M (length)2

(or perhaps sums of those types of terms). So for purposes of taking the limit of large n, I think you can consider M to be a "given" and find out what happens to the numerical factor in front of the MR2 as n gets larger.
  4. Dec 3, 2008 #3
    In that case through Lo'Pitals rule by taking the derivative of lim n --> infinity of
    (n+2)/(n+4) = 1. So I = MR^2 right? So that seems like the moment of inertia of a point mass does that mean that if the mass per area of the disk is infinite it will act as if it were a point mass instead of a disk physically speaking?
  5. Dec 3, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

That looks right to me.

I'm not sure if that would be true. For a point mass the R is the distance away from some origin--and where the origin is placed is entirely up to you. For the disk, the R is set by the physical size of the disk itself.

I would think more about comparing this to a thin ring.
  6. Dec 3, 2008 #5
    Oh you mean a thin walled hollow ring which has a moment of inertia of MR^2? That does make sense to me as well. So when the mass per area is infinite the disk will act as if its mass was concentrated R distance away uniformally and hollow in the middle.

Thanks a bunch for the help!
  7. Dec 4, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

Glad to help!

What I was actually thinking was not that the mass per area is infinite, but about how the density goes as rn. If you plot a series of curves, say r^2, r^7, r^70, etc. over a range from 0->2 (for example), at the very high n values the mass is overwhelmingly located in a smaller and smaller ring at the largest r value.

for example at n=2, it looks like:

at n=7,

and at n=70

so it actually effectively becomes a ring for large n (because the inner portions are so much less dense).
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?