Moment of Inertia for Infinite Density (mass per area)

In summary, for the given problem, as n approaches infinity, the limit of the moment of inertia of the disk is equivalent to the moment of inertia of a point mass, with the mass concentrated at a distance R from the origin. This can also be compared to the moment of inertia of a thin-walled hollow ring. This means that for large values of n, the disk will act as if it has a mass concentrated at a single point, rather than being distributed throughout the disk. This is due to the increasingly small density at the inner portions of the disk as n increases.
Hells_Kitchen

Homework Statement

Suppose you have the density of a disk given by σ=σ0*rn.
For n approaches infinity, find the limit of M.I. Interpret your result, which should be physical, reasonable and intuitively clear.

Homework Equations

Now i found the moment of intertia of the object to be
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/84/problemou0.jpg

I am having trouble with the limit though because if I try to do Lo'Hopitals Rule on R^(n+4)/(n+4) it doesn't help and I am not sure if I can use just I = MR^2(n+2)/(n+4) and treat M as a constant but I don't think that would be possible since M is a function of n itself. When i try to figure the limit i get undefined solutions and I am not sure what that means physically. Can someone help please?

Thanks,
HK

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hells_Kitchen,

Hells_Kitchen said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you have the density of a disk given by σ=σ0*rn.
For n approaches infinity, find the limit of M.I. Interpret your result, which should be physical, reasonable and intuitively clear.

Homework Equations

Now i found the moment of intertia of the object to be

I am having trouble with the limit though because if I try to do Lo'Hopitals Rule on R^(n+4)/(n+4) it doesn't help and I am not sure if I can use just I = MR^2(n+2)/(n+4) and treat M as a constant but I don't think that would be possible since M is a function of n itself.

It's true that the value of M depends on n; however the goal of a moment of inertia calculation is to get an expression in the form

I = (number) M (length)2

(or perhaps sums of those types of terms). So for purposes of taking the limit of large n, I think you can consider M to be a "given" and find out what happens to the numerical factor in front of the MR2 as n gets larger.

In that case through Lo'Pitals rule by taking the derivative of lim n --> infinity of
(n+2)/(n+4) = 1. So I = MR^2 right? So that seems like the moment of inertia of a point mass does that mean that if the mass per area of the disk is infinite it will act as if it were a point mass instead of a disk physically speaking?

Hells_Kitchen said:
In that case through Lo'Pitals rule by taking the derivative of lim n --> infinity of
(n+2)/(n+4) = 1. So I = MR^2 right?

That looks right to me.

So that seems like the moment of inertia of a point mass does that mean that if the mass per area of the disk is infinite it will act as if it were a point mass instead of a disk physically speaking?

I'm not sure if that would be true. For a point mass the R is the distance away from some origin--and where the origin is placed is entirely up to you. For the disk, the R is set by the physical size of the disk itself.

I would think more about comparing this to a thin ring.

Oh you mean a thin walled hollow ring which has a moment of inertia of MR^2? That does make sense to me as well. So when the mass per area is infinite the disk will act as if its mass was concentrated R distance away uniformally and hollow in the middle.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Hells_Kitchen said:
Oh you mean a thin walled hollow ring which has a moment of inertia of MR^2? That does make sense to me as well. So when the mass per area is infinite the disk will act as if its mass was concentrated R distance away uniformally and hollow in the middle.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Glad to help!

What I was actually thinking was not that the mass per area is infinite, but about how the density goes as rn. If you plot a series of curves, say r^2, r^7, r^70, etc. over a range from 0->2 (for example), at the very high n values the mass is overwhelmingly located in a smaller and smaller ring at the largest r value.

for example at n=2, it looks like:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/687/r2newor7.jpg

at n=7,

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3636/r7newnx8.jpg

and at n=70

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/852/r70newft7.jpg

so it actually effectively becomes a ring for large n (because the inner portions are so much less dense).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is moment of inertia for infinite density?

Moment of inertia for infinite density is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation when its mass is distributed infinitely within its area.

2. How is moment of inertia for infinite density calculated?

The moment of inertia for infinite density is calculated by taking the integral of the square of the distance from the axis of rotation to each infinitesimal element of mass, multiplied by the infinitesimal mass and the density function.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia for infinite density in physics?

Moment of inertia for infinite density is an important concept in physics as it helps in understanding the rotational dynamics of objects with infinite mass distribution, such as a spinning disk or a planet.

4. How does moment of inertia for infinite density differ from that of finite density?

The main difference between moment of inertia for infinite density and finite density is that for infinite density, the mass is spread infinitely within the area, while for finite density, the mass is confined to a specific volume. This results in different mathematical formulas for calculating the moment of inertia for each case.

5. Can moment of inertia for infinite density be negative?

No, moment of inertia for infinite density cannot be negative as it is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation and cannot have a negative value. A negative value would imply that the object would rotate more easily, which goes against the definition of moment of inertia.