Moment of inertia formula for a propeller

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
localrob
Messages
23
Reaction score
1
Is there a moment of inertia formula for a 2 bladed propeller?
If you only have the mass and the length of the propeller, I would think a good estimate would be using a rod rotating about the middle. 1/12ml2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
localrob said:
Is there a moment of inertia formula for a 2 bladed propeller?
If you only have the mass and the length of the propeller, I would think a good estimate would be using a rod rotating about the middle. 1/12ml2

"Good" depends upon what you want to use the estimate for. Does a simple rod adequately describe the geometry and mass distribution of the propeller you have in mind?
 
I think that for a high school physics problem, it can be assumed to act like a rod. So when finding the rotational kinetic energy of a spinning propeller, I could use the rod formula.
But I was curious if there were another generally accepted formula for a propeller that I could use. I'm not sure what the distribution of mass is for an actual propeller, and nothing other than the mass and length are provided.
 
No doubt manufacturers of propellers will have detailed models of their propellers, including all the geometry and mass distribution. But for a problem where the only information you have is mass and length you're rather constrained to choose the rod as a model.
 
That's how I feel too. I did see a post on these forums where someone found the formula to be 2/3mr^2, but I don't know where that came from.