1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia formula for a propeller

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    Is there a moment of inertia formula for a 2 bladed propeller?
    If you only have the mass and the length of the propeller, I would think a good estimate would be using a rod rotating about the middle. 1/12ml2

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

"Good" depends upon what you want to use the estimate for. Does a simple rod adequately describe the geometry and mass distribution of the propeller you have in mind?

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    I think that for a high school physics problem, it can be assumed to act like a rod. So when finding the rotational kinetic energy of a spinning propeller, I could use the rod formula.
    But I was curious if there were another generally accepted formula for a propeller that I could use. I'm not sure what the distribution of mass is for an actual propeller, and nothing other than the mass and length are provided.

5. May 13, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

No doubt manufacturers of propellers will have detailed models of their propellers, including all the geometry and mass distribution. But for a problem where the only information you have is mass and length you're rather constrained to choose the rod as a model.

6. May 13, 2012 #5
    That's how I feel too. I did see a post on these forums where someone found the formula to be 2/3mr^2, but I don't know where that came from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook