Moment of Inertia (not through symmetry axis)

In summary, moment of inertia is a physical property that measures an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying mass by the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. Moment of inertia and mass are two different properties, with mass referring to the amount of matter and moment of inertia describing mass distribution. Moment of inertia is important for understanding rotational motion and has applications in engineering and physics. It is influenced by an object's shape and mass distribution, with larger and more spread out mass resulting in a higher moment of inertia.
sterling32157

Homework Statement

What is the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder (of mass 8.41kg and radius 7.5cm) rotating about an axis parallel to the symmetry axis but passing through the edge of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

I=.5mr2,
but how does this change when the axis is passing through the edge of the cylinder?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't attempt it intelligently until I have the correct equation. Once I do, I can finish it off myself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need the parallel axis theorem:

I=Icenter+mr2

Thanks so much!

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's rotational speed.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This distance is also known as the radius of gyration.

What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different physical properties of an object. Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia describes the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand how objects will rotate when subjected to external forces. It also plays a crucial role in many engineering and physics applications, such as calculating the stability of structures and predicting the motion of objects.

How does moment of inertia change with shape and mass distribution?

Moment of inertia is affected by both the shape and mass distribution of an object. Objects with a larger mass and more spread out mass distribution will have a higher moment of inertia, making it more difficult to change their rotational motion.