Moment of inertia of 3 disc system

In summary, the moment of inertia of the whole system is 0.5*M*R^2+2*((0.5)*m*r^2+m*L^2) where M is the mass of the bigger disk and r is the radius of the smaller disks.
Rosengrip

Homework Statement

We have 3 discs, arranged as the sketch below shows. Find the moment of inertia of the whole system around the axis, passing horizontally through center of the bigger disk:

1. Two smaller disks are fixed and cannot rotate around their axes.

2. Two smaller disks can rotate freely around their axes.

R is the radius of big circle
r is the radius of 2 smaller disks
L is the distance between COM and axes of smaller disks.
M is the mass of bigger disk
m is the mass of 2 smaller disks

[PLAIN]http://www.shrani.si/f/3L/Os/9CLgTJj/rotacija.jpg

Homework Equations

I = (1/2)*m*R^2 ---> moment of inertia for disk
Parallel axis theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 1st point, my solution would be:
I = (0.5)*M*R^2 + 2*((0.5)*m*r^2 + m*L^2)

However I am not sure about the 2nd one, any hints? Thanks in advcance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rosengrip! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Rosengrip said:
We have 3 discs, arranged as the sketch below shows. Find the moment of inertia of the whole system around the axis, passing horizontally through center of the bigger disk:

2. Two smaller disks can rotate freely around their axes.

For the 1st point, my solution would be:
I = (0.5)*M*R^2 + 2*((0.5)*m*r^2 + m*L^2)

However I am not sure about the 2nd one, any hints? Thanks in advcance

Your 1 looks fine. :smile:

For 2, I think you're meant to assume that the small discs do not rotate on their own axes (ie they always face the same way). :wink:

Hm, I don't have the right formula just yet but I somehow think that system moment of inertia in 2nd scenario would be bigger than one in 1st. Is that the correct assumption?

From center of bigger disk POV, the smaller disk rotates in point 2., whereas in point 1. it stands still. The situation is reversed from outside POV (in point 2. vertical line drawn on the smaller disk would always point downwards).

What bothers me is that I can't really formulate the problem under 2nd point, since all we did were cases which fall under point 1 :(

Hi Rosengrip! :wink:
Rosengrip said:
Hm, I don't have the right formula just yet but I somehow think …

erm :redface: … physics is equations! :smile:

stop philosophising, and do the equations …

if necessary, go back to the definition and do an ∫ (do it for something easier, like a rod!) :wink:

I would first clarify the question and make sure I understand the system and its properties correctly. It appears that the bigger disk is fixed and cannot rotate, while the two smaller disks have different conditions (fixed vs. free rotation) depending on the scenario. I would also confirm the units of measurement being used for the radii and distances.

For the first scenario, where the two smaller disks are fixed, the moment of inertia can be calculated by summing the moments of inertia of each individual disk around the given axis. This would result in:

I = (0.5)*M*R^2 + 2*((0.5)*m*r^2)

For the second scenario, where the two smaller disks can rotate freely, the moment of inertia would also take into account the rotation of these disks around their own axes. In this case, we can use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the additional moment of inertia due to the rotation around their axes. This would result in:

I = (0.5)*M*R^2 + 2*((0.5)*m*r^2 + m*L^2) + 2*((0.5)*m*r^2)

This additional term takes into account the moment of inertia of each smaller disk around its own axis, which is given by (0.5)*m*r^2, and the distance between the axis of rotation and the axis of the bigger disk, which is L. This gives the final moment of inertia for the system.

In summary, the moment of inertia for the 3 disc system depends on the conditions of the smaller disks, and can be calculated using the appropriate equations and the parallel axis theorem. It is important to carefully consider the properties and conditions of the system in order to arrive at an accurate solution.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but for rotational motion.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a system is calculated by summing the products of each individual mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the formula for moment of inertia of a 3 disc system?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a 3 disc system is I = 1/2(m1r1^2 + m2r2^2 + m3r3^2), where m is the mass of each disc and r is the distance of each disc from the axis of rotation.

How does the moment of inertia change if the discs are stacked versus spread out?

The moment of inertia will be higher if the discs are spread out, as the distance from the axis of rotation is greater. If the discs are stacked, the moment of inertia will be lower.

Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is important in physics because it is a crucial factor in determining the rotational dynamics of a system. It is necessary for calculating the torque and angular acceleration of an object.