Moment of inertia of a hoop

In summary: The formula for moment of inertia, I, is the sum of mr^2 for all the small masses that make up the object. In summary, the confusion about why a thin cylindrical shell has the same moment of inertia as a hoop is due to the fact that both objects have their mass concentrated at the same distance from the axis of rotation. This is because the cross section of a cylinder is the same as a hoop. Therefore, the formula for moment of inertia, I, is the same for both objects, which is the sum of mr^2 for all the small masses that make up the object.
raycao88124
Hi all
i am really confused about this, why does a thin cylindrical shell has the same moment of inertia of a hoop?
i understand the I for a thin hoop is mr(square), and i know how to do this. but i just get confused why a cylindrical shell has the same result? and i don't know how to show the work.
i asked my physics teacher but he didnt explain very clearly.

Moderation note: Duplicate threads merged since both threads had been answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

raycao88124 said:
Hi all
i am really confused about this, why does a thin cylindrical shell has the same moment of inertia of a hoop?
i understand the I for a thin hoop is mr(square), and i know how to do this. but i just get confused why a cylindrical shell has the same result? and i don't know how to show the work.
i asked my physics teacher but he didnt explain very clearly.
Consider a thin hoop and a cylindrical shell with an axis of rotation through the centre of both circular faces (i.e. looking down the tube). In both cases, where is all the mass located? Can you see any difference between the hoop and the cylinder if viewed end-on?

In both cases, the object's entire mass is concentrated at the same distance (r) from the axis of rotation. So I=mr2

What formula are you given to calculate I?

raycao88124 said:
Why does a thin cylindrical shell has the same moment of inertia of a hoop?
Because the cross section of a cylinder is the same as a hoop. You could combine a bunch of hoops together to create a cylinder. The distribution of mass versus radius stays the same, only the amount of mass varies (the "m" in m r^2).

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass distribution and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a hoop?

The moment of inertia of a hoop is calculated by multiplying the mass of the hoop by the square of its radius. It is represented by the equation I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the radius.

What is the significance of moment of inertia for a hoop?

The moment of inertia for a hoop determines how much torque is needed to change its rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means a greater amount of torque is needed, while a smaller moment of inertia requires less torque.

How does the moment of inertia change if the hoop's mass is distributed unevenly?

If the mass of the hoop is distributed unevenly, the moment of inertia will also change. It will be larger if the mass is concentrated farther from the axis of rotation, and smaller if the mass is closer to the axis.

Can the moment of inertia of a hoop be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a hoop can be changed by altering its mass or its radius. Increasing the mass or the radius will increase the moment of inertia, while decreasing them will decrease the moment of inertia.