Moment of inertia of a non-homogenous cylinder

In summary, the moment of inertia of a cylinder with length L, mass M, and a linear distribution of mass with radius R is calculated by using the equation I = (2πkLR^5)/5, where k = (3M)/(2πR^3L). This is found by using concentric rings of infinitesimal thickness to calculate the total mass and moment of inertia of the cylinder.
Karol

Homework Statement

What is the moment of inertia round the axis of a cylinder length L, mass M and a linear distribution of mass with the radius R, zero at the center.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia: ##I=mr^2#3

The Attempt at a Solution

The density ρ=kr. what is k? the total mass is M
$$M=\int_v dz\;dr\;(r\;d\theta)\cdot kr=k\int_0^L dz \int_0^{2\pi}d\theta \left( \frac{1}{3}r^3 \right)_0^R\;\rightarrow k=\frac{3M}{2\pi R^3L}$$
To calculate I for the cylinder i take concentric rings of infinitesimal thickness dr (drawing) and with the full height L of the cylinder:
$$dm=2\pi rL\cdot dr\cdot kr,\; dI=dm\cdot r^2=2\pi kL\cdot r^4 dr$$
$$I=2\pi kL\int_0^R r^4dr=\frac{1}{5}2\pi k L R^5$$

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question? Your attempt looks reasonable. You can insert your expression for k in the final expression and some factors will cancel.

Thanks, i just wanted to know if it's true

1. What is moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of the cylinder.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder calculated?

The moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder is calculated using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the mass element. This integral is taken over the entire mass distribution of the cylinder.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder can never be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the rotational inertia of the cylinder.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder differ from that of a homogeneous cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder is different from that of a homogeneous cylinder because the mass distribution is not uniform. This means that the moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder varies at different points along its axis of rotation, while the moment of inertia of a homogeneous cylinder remains constant.

5. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a non-homogeneous cylinder is affected by the mass distribution, the shape of the cylinder, and the axis of rotation. Other factors such as density and size of the cylinder may also have an impact on the moment of inertia.