1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a regular hexagonal plate?

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a regular hexagonal plate of side a and mass M along an axis passing through its opposite vertices?

2. Relevant equations
    Moment of inertia for a right triangle with an axis running along its base would be I = m h2 /6 where h and m are the height and the mass of the triangle respectively.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried breaking up the hexagon into 4 congruent right triangles and a rectangle. So there would be 2 triangles at the top, the rectangle in the middle and the two triangles below.
    The moment of inertia of the triangle would be = [itex] \frac{m a^2} {8} [/itex] because the height will be = asin60
    Mass of this triangular bit = M/12
    Density of the hexagon = 2M/(a23√3)
    So the rectangular bit in the middle will have moment of inertia equal to this density multiplied by the double integral of x^2 with x running from a√3 to -a√3 and y running from a/2 to -a/2.
    This gives moment of inertia for the rectangular bit = 4Ma2/3.
    I thought then you finally add all these up to get moment of inertia for the hexagon because integration is a linear operator or whatever. But I get the wrong answer.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems too much. Pls post your working.

4. May 22, 2013 #3
    Silly silly me. The integral for x runs from (a√3)/2 to -(a√3)/2 and this gives the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted